Torque camshaft report

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback on the cam. I can't wait to hear more info. once you get the new lifters in.

Heath

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I am in the process of replacing the lifters right now but I had to make this post and tell you what I found in the process of replacing them.

The plungers of the lifters are all the way up when the cam is not on a lobe. The cam is a regrind and the round portion of the lobe is ground smaller to make up for the way to lobe is ground. So hopefully the old lifters are worn and the new lifters ride on the cam higher. I did order in some powerstroke push rods but for some reason I only recieved 8 of them. I thought I ordered 16 but I must have had a brain fart and got 8 instead. I am going to go put the new lifters in and see what it looks like then. If they are still too short I am going to put the 8 powerstroke pushrods in on one bank and order the rest in and then I only have to pull a valve cover to replace the other 8.

What a process, can't wait to get it done and running well again.

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new lifters are in and the pre load seems good with the original pushrods. I got the rockers arms tightened to zero valve lash and then finished tightening the rocker arms down, about 1 full turn. That is about like a gas engine with hydraulic lifters. I am going to finish assembly and see what happens.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow...NEW cam used lifters...hmm...even though it's a roller cam the idea of used on new just makes me wince in pain thinking bout how the missmatched profiles are working on each other.....comes from my old solid lifter days I suppose though for me personally, I wouldnt ever reuse a set of lifters on a new or different cam (UNLESS it's an emergency to get me home to do it right)

As for different length pushrods on one bank? I would have thought to put the 8 push rods on either the intakes or the exhaust and then add the next batch of 8 to the remaining.

JM2CW

I do like the fact that there is this cam profile available. My question is what are the specs of this cam vs the stock one? Does anyone have a comparrison?

Whats the cost of the cam?????

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I know better but I thought since it the lifters are rollers they would be fine. One of these days I may learn, probably not though.

Any hoooo, the engine is all buttoned up and I did not use the longer pushrods. The truck runs much better. No missing and no smoke at idle. I need to get it timed a little better. Right now I am missing some power down low that I had before the cam swap and it is making a more smoke down low. The power after the turbo starts to make boost is good. I am pleased with that much and there is more torque for sure.

I am going to mess around with the timing a bit until I can make it down to the shop to have it timed properly. After that we will see what the cam does for power and after that I am going to install the new injectors and have it timed again.

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cam is around $189 exchanged. I thought about taking it a machine shop and seeing if they could get the specs for it although I did not do it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Anybody price out a oem cam... I did and its way lots more than this cam that Russ is able to supply us. When I first got started with these idi motors I found a shop that reground my oem cam with 375,000 miles on it for $25.00....:eek::D One of those "couldn't pass up deals"... He took one thousands off the profile total. Thats about 1.2 thous per side of the lobe.. Changing the oil and running quality oil works out ok. I have two oem cams with the lift pump lobe and thrust washers and cam gear. They are new oem from a ebay seller in Texas for $99.00 w/ free shipping... Thats over $800.00 from Ford for just the cam without anything hanging on the front of it....

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They developed it in the na days for the loggers, those trucks sold by the thousands in OR and WA. It really works good in my engine with the turbo. I can outpull my buddy and I have 355 gears and haul about 13k with the camper on and the buggy trailer.

My cam grinder split patterns the cam and increases the intake lift to 261 lobe lift/392 valve
exhaust remains stock with 253 lobe 380 valve.

rocker ratio is 1.5 they calc it at .050 tappet lift.
the intake centerline is opened up to fill the cylinder longer.

The torque cam was designed by the cam grinder I use, for the loggers when these trucks came out. They designed it for na and I used it in my turbo engine and it pulls , hard.
I sell them as they are a wholesale shop.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Glad someone is paying attention.:D:D

The lack of power down low is timing or fuel. It will have more torque.
Also cam cores are getting scarce for these so save them.

Also they rebuild the fuel pump lobe for 25.00.

The roller lifter re using issue isnt usually a problem.

if the engine has been rebuilt the lifters may have been the wrong ones, the preload should have not been different than the new ones. I wonder if the rockers were very worn?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so to do this, what all is needed? I've been contemplating this... I know lifters have to be new but where to get them? Thanks for helping :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle