Top Mount Intercooler

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned lots of gasser turbos (mostly 2.3 Fords) and several supercharged cars with intercoolers,............

I was going to say, I owned a SVO mustang years ago and that funny offset hood scoop it had supplied air to a intercooler mounted over the turbo. I believe the turbo coupes had hood scoops for the intercooler also? It had a large rubber gasket that mated the intercooler to the hood, and still let the engine wiggle around some.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I like the idea for the water spraying over the intercooler. I was thinking I would be way more willing to run a home made water system like that, spraying onto the intercooler than into the motor. Plus it might lower water temps a little if you have a front mount intercooler as the water would work its way back. Would be something I would look to when towing something up some good grades.

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
While fabrication is going to be involved in either set-up I don't like the idea of hacking the grill and radiator support to accept a P/S set up.

Since you obviously have skills in th fab dept. Why couldn't you try and mod a P/S rad. mt. Then make brackets so your grill would mount up without cutting on it. Just a newbie suggestion. Go wild with a tape measure. to even see if it could be possible. Then cut up the P/S stuff to mount to yours.:backoff

bowedup2003

Reaction score
Not to come in at the end of a thread but the hood-mounted intercooler you were reffering to is from Jobe Performance. I met them at the NHRDA race in Crandall (just south of Dallas) in October. They had several of there intercoolers on display. What they are doing is mounting the intercooler directly to the top of the engine w/ some brackets and then they cut the hood out so it will close around it like the shaker hoods. The trick that made it work in that position was that they had a great big electric fan mounted on the backside of it to draw air through the intercooler all the time, not just when you running down the highway. The guy was pretty friendly and actually walked out to the parking lot to look at how he could mount one on my 6.9l Banks turbo....he qouted me $800 for a custom setup for my truck.

I'm not too crazy about mounting the intercooler in the hood, but I do like the idea of having an electric fan so I could have the cool air on tap even if I'm driving slow pulling a load.

Bowedup

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not too crazy about mounting the intercooler in the hood, but I do like the idea of having an electric fan so I could have the cool air on tap even if I'm driving slow pulling a load.
Bowedup

I Googled them and they have a website with a lot of pics and info. Ck in particular Intercooler FAQ. Thanks man very interesting ideas. ;Sweet

http://www.jobeperformance.com/home.php

fcdrifter13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know after owning a few RX7s mainly the second gen with the TMIC I can tell you what the IC temps are with it TMIC, FMIC, and V mount. The top mount on the track would near 195*, where the FMIC would stay a cool 110* at all times unless the air across the IC would slow down to a slow 30mph, then upon acceleration it would get hotter because of the amount of air going through it vs the air going around/through it. There was a barely noticeable amount of lag with the fmic as opposed to the TMIC, but the TMIC had a noticable increase in power across the band. The best setup, that uses the most efficient way off cooling the intercooler is the V mount setup, but I cannot see this being a viable option on a truck, because the proper ducting needed, plus the space for both the radiator and the IC to lay flat is slim to none because of the size of most of the unit. Since I installed my FMIC I have had one bent fin and it was my own fault I followed a dump truck into a coal mine and one got dent up because of a rock.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One person tried a liquid cooled intercooler in the passenger fender area, but didn't pursue the project to completion. Based on my own experience, and observations of that project, I don't see how a cooler large enough could be made to fit, and not be a hinderance to normal maintanance. My preference would be to mount it in the bed with electric fans and do it that way, if you can't put it in the conventional location in front of the rad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubburnjd1

Members online

No members online now.