Top Gear America

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
the toy was a no holds barred, no dollars spared trail built special, while the ones the guys were testing for the show were $3000 wrecks that were bought over teh internet sight unseen, I mean, come on, would you honestly buy a truck off ebay for 3 grand and straight off the carrier ,lock in the hubs and attempt one of the toughest roads around? It's a freeking miracle that any of them made it. If the guy had been paying attention, he wouldn't have landed his driveshaft on that rock, and quite frankly, I don't see how that should disqualify anyone, have you ever known anyone to go wheeling without spare ujoints? ( especially if they have a toyota)
I never expected teh dodge to make it, that's just a pavement cruiser in the first place, but the other two had teh potential to make it.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
sorry, i liked the toy. it was a good looking truck. lol

<---- has a special spot for yotas, dad had one when i was little that he mud raced. had a built buick 231 under the hood with turbo350 trans into yota tcase and axles. never broke an axle even with the 38's.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
my face probably sees an honest 1 hr a week of TV. I used to watch the england version of top gear and that was my 1hr. The american version sucks. :rotflmao

tknomaj

Reaction score
yea i complaiend about that in my post too which included a fuel pump rant. For crying out loud they couldn;t even get the motor size right in the Dodge. THEY NEVER PUT A 5.7 in a DODGE. Its 5.2 or 5.9.

BAH.

5.7 HEMI HAS DODGE WRITTEN ALL OVER IT:dunno

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be a 5.7 hemi. One of my buddies aunts had a 97 with a hemi. Pretty ssweet and fast truck.

Overall the competition was thought out very well in terms I
of vehicles. They all should have been closer to each other in age and the drivelines should have been repaired anbrought up to factory standard for the event to be a fair judge of manufacturers.

The dodge, unlike the other two trucks, was completely electronically controlled. Wet wiring look to be the cause of its death. The ford would have made it if the driver had half a brain web it came to climbing obsticles. But I will give credit to whoever pieced that chevy together, it held up to one he'll of a beating and came back for more lol.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I watched that episode tonight.....What a horrible representation of those of use who are real trailweathered gearheads..... A Chevy Stepside with a 6.2? Ok......WHY IS THERE A CARBURETOR????? The other two trucks might have lasted a bit longer if they weren't trying like hell to hydrolock em on every single spot of water.....This TopGear America drives me nuts because none of these guys have a single friggin clue about anything.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lack of any attempt to fix anything just makes them look like idiots and pales in comparsion with the UK show, where the guys just don't give up, and if in a case like this they didn't really have an idea what they were doing, would have seeked instruction/training before going, not just randomly driving into the bush like a bunch of madmen.
The Ford didn't die, and as already mentioned, any half interested wheeler carries such spare parts.
There is no reason all three of those trucks couldn't have made it.

94F350Fred

Reaction score
The lack of any attempt to fix anything just makes them look like idiots and pales in comparsion with the UK show, where the guys just don't give up, and if in a case like this they didn't really have an idea what they were doing, would have seeked instruction/training before going, not just randomly driving into the bush like a bunch of madmen.
The Ford didn't die, and as already mentioned, any half interested wheeler carries such spare parts.
There is no reason all three of those trucks couldn't have made it.

Not only that, Top Gear did put a similar Toyota through hell but they kept fixing it after every stint. Granted they didn't replace parts except to make do with what they can off the truck but still an attempt to fix the Ford and Dodge would have been nice. Besides, the amature driving the Dodge couldn’t wait to tap it out of the race. It kept going but he kept beating on it!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I watched that episode tonight.....What a horrible representation of those of use who are real trailweathered gearheads..... A Chevy Stepside with a 6.2? Ok......WHY IS THERE A CARBURETOR????? The other two trucks might have lasted a bit longer if they weren't trying like hell to hydrolock em on every single spot of water.....This TopGear America drives me nuts because none of these guys have a single friggin clue about anything.

You noticed that?? Who the heck goes diving into water like that aside from teenagers who don't know any better, if they are planning on attempting to continue on past that point? The only time folks go diving into water holes like that is if they are at an event where the trailer is nearby ready to drag it home.

When I turned wrenches at a jeep dealer I used to regularly get ones in where some kid or really stupid adult had taken them submarine riding and we'd have to take them near completely apart to get all the water and mud out cookoo one time it was one of our salesemen :backoff

Danmerica

Reaction score
it was made for tv entertainment that was obvious. just needed better acting to pull it off.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree on the lack of maintenance/repair, but I gotta say I laughed out loud when they said the Dodge was too nice so the Chevy and the Ford smashed into both sides :rotflmao

The only thing better was when the "log cabin" fell out of the Dodge and Tanner Faust blasted it into firewood with the Chevy! :rotflmao

Tell me that wasn't freakin hilarious!!!