Tone ring mod = MPG gain

Whit

Reaction score
Tone ring mod = MPG gain

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This mod is free for the 3rd gens other than a little bit of time under the truck, I did the mod a couple weeks ago on a 04.5 and have noticed a better grunt on the lower end and well as .7 mpg gain, We are now getting 20.4 MPG highway at 65 mph.So heres the deal, Basically, it is doing about the same thing as the RokkTech Cam sensor by advancing the timing a couple degrees. Behind the Crank Pulley for the surpintein belt there is a Tone Ring. It has 4 bolt holes and a dowel pin hole. Take off the belt, loosen up the crank pulley and remove, the tone ring will then slide off. Now you will see the tone ring has the 4 bolt holes and an alignment pin, use a dremmel tool or a good round file and remove about an eigth inch off the left side of the hole as you look at the front of the tone ring, dont worry about taking too much off and the 4 bolts will only allow the tone ring to adjust so far. Now reinstall the tone ring and the belt sheive and finger tight the 4 bolts, install surpentein belt and make sure it is clear of the crank position sensor as it is close tolerence . Now with the bolts just finger tight rotate the tone ring in a clock wise rotation as far as it will go...........this is looking at the FRONT of the motor. Secure the 4 bolts to 30ft.lbs. plus another 60 degrees per manual ( weird I know) or do like I did and just tighten the **** outa them. So the end result is you just advanced your timing about 2*. This mod is very simple to do and well worth the time, If you have a manual tranny it will be easy to do the bolts, if you have an auto tranny you will need a hammer to loosen them so the motor just doesnt rotate. Also check the bolt torque again after a week or so.

Tools needed
15mm socket and breaker bar or ratchet long handle.
hammer if auto tranny
dremmel tool or good small round file
1/2" ratchet for the belt tensioner

I have attached a couple photos of before and after on the tone ring

Attachments

• stock tone ring.jpg
    stock tone ring.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 53
  • mod tone ring.jpg
    mod tone ring.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited: