To motor swap or not to motor swap that is the ?????

Slydinclyde2

Reaction score
So with this lovely auction truck I bought for $540 turns out after I replaced the batteries and tried cranking it there is what appears to be rust water dripping from the back of the driver side cylinder head. Pretty sure gasket at minimum. So I'm debating doing the head gasket and studding it in the truck. Or swapping it out for a 7.3 with ATS turbo I have setting in the shop. If I swap in the 7.3 I was going to go ahead and stud it and fresh gaskets and seals. Was even considering doing a cam and main girdle as well. But was wondering about decompression head gaskets any source for those and are they any good?
Thoughts and opinions please

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Install the turboed 7.3 after gaskets and studs. Skip the main stud girdle. Thats money spend foolishly. Spend it on other things. The idi bottom end is about as strong as they come.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So with this lovely auction truck I bought for $540 turns out after I replaced the batteries and tried cranking it there is what appears to be rust water dripping from the back of the driver side cylinder head. Pretty sure gasket at minimum. So I'm debating doing the head gasket and studding it in the truck. Or swapping it out for a 7.3 with ATS turbo I have setting in the shop. If I swap in the 7.3 I was going to go ahead and stud it and fresh gaskets and seals. Was even considering doing a cam and main girdle as well. But was wondering about decompression head gaskets any source for those and are they any good?
Thoughts and opinions please

If looking for decomp gaskets Justin at R&D can help with info. How they hold up etc.

Suppose a girdle is maybe overkill but based on one members exp @IDIoit it kept his bottom end together....the debate is on, on root cause of issue mind you.

There are cams from Typ4 Russ here at OB and Justin at R&D

Sky iz limit to where u want to toss $$$ your project your $$$

Me...eh I am going for a girdle in time.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im leaning twards the improper install of the girdle caused the crack.
all speculation until I tear it down.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have to agree with icanfixall. My main reason is that the dripping water is rusty. You could be looking at a head gasket, or not. It could be from a freeze plug in the back of the block or IIRC there's one on the ends of the heads too. If you know that the extra engine is good, then I'd think it would be a no brainer.

Slydinclyde2

Reaction score
I was told it was good and had about 90k miles on it never did here it run though. It got it for $400 with ats turbo all accessories and flywheel and clutch along with starter and glow plug system.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online