To build, or not to build....

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I told a friend of mine who has a CHERRY 1986 F250 2wd 6.9 C6, that I would give him a brake booster for his truck. I dropped it off today and he gave me a cab and chassis posi dually rearend for my cab and chassis truck.

Originally I was going to move the spring perches on a pickup dually rearend and bolt that under there, but I will be installing the pickup dually rearend under my F250...eventually.

Back on track, I will be bolting this BACK under my cab and chassis dually. It has a MINT cab on it, I have an IDI for it but nothing else.

I would be installing new sheet metal....again....and possibly an 82" Stratosphere sleeper from an 06 Western Star. I can get the sleeper for nothing, and it's is REALLY good shape!

I know another member here has a truck with a sleeper on it, but he has tandem axles. I would keep the single axle and build a short wooden deck with a pintle plate to hold a reciever and lights.

I thought about scrapping it, but I am getting to the age where my girlfriend and I want to do some travelling, camping and sight-seeing. It would be a little cramped, I know.

I would have the pride of driving a piece of work I built, and having the simplicity of an IDI powered rig!

Plus...who else has one around here!!:dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That would be one sweet setup. I see a hotshot rig in your future

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
plus hotshottin makes it easier to pay the bills for traveling

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well, I made a couple calls today, and I got one really good back. The sleeper is definitly mine, no questions asked. All I gotta do is show up with a trailer and he will load it for me.

I was thinking about doing a 6" body lift on the cab only. Some 6" square tubing should do the trick, to get the roof section closer to the sleeper overhang so I won't have to fill it with a couple 4'x8' sheets of sheetmetal LOL.

This should mean I can cut the back wall out of the cab, and MOST of the cab roof. You will be able to get out of the bucket driver seat, stand up and walk into the sleeper.

As far as mounting to the frame, I would LOVE to have an air ride, but it's not worth cutting the front sheet metal up to make an air ride cab and sleeper. Plus I don't want to install an on board air system just yet....too much cost involved off the get go.

Anyone got any other ideas? The cab and chassis frame should DEFINITLY be up to the task, and the cab on the frame as well as the frame is in MINT condition.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an Onboard Air Compressor with 6.9/7.3 brackets that mounts to the drivers side head if you decide to do the Air...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
At least air seats. Some jump seats out of international 9670 cabovers will fit nicely into pickups those are pancake mount seats. THat's wht I used I don't have onboard air yet, I just have a shrader valve on a hose behind the seat. some IH conventionals were mounted over heater boxes as well if you can find those in the boneyards that are air seats you are in good shape.