Tire repair string plugs ?

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between the black and brown tire repair string plugs ? Also, can you double up plugs in a larger hole ?

And yes I know that this is an inferior method of repair but it sure is easy and inexpensive .

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
I don't know the difference. Only brand I use is tuff stuff
http://super-seal.com/tuffstuff.asp
Never had a problem of any kind. Instead of "doubling up" get the size appropriate for the hole you are going to patch.

If the hole is that damn big maybe you should have the tire welded. I blew a hole the size of my fist into a 10:00x20 dump truck tire. Sumabitch if they didn't weld it back to good as new! BTW, it was on the drivers, don't think I'd want a welded tire on the steering axle.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Those TUFF-STUFF plugs are exactly what we have been using for years in our tire shop.;Sweet

We don't pay near the prices I see in that ad, as we can stick a plug in a tire, charge $3, and make a profit.cookoo

We do an inside patch-plug repair, called a TECH TWO-WAY UNISEAL, on anything worth doing right.

We use the string plugs on tubeless equipment tires, farm equipment, ATVs, lawn-mowers, etc.

Also, being in the welfare capitol of the world, we service many many low-income customers, that have may-pop tires and no money; they get string plugs, because all four of their tires are worth less than one proper repair.

Being in the tire business, I have stuck a string plug in just about every kind of tire, on my personal vehicles, that there is.

They usually will still be going strong when the tire goes slick.

The main reason of string plug failure is the ****** that is doing the plugging.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, can you double up plugs in a larger hole ?
Having worked in a tire repair job for a while and having gone 4x4'ing and seen several cords used the answer is NO YES NO

No you should not ever use more than one repair cord.

Yes you can use more than one IN AN EMERGENCY!!!!! The Tire is basically going to be hooped because a hole that requires more than one repair cord has MOST likely caused the tire to sustain SUBSTANTIAL cord damage and should not be driven on they highway as it is likely no longer safe and if it is it should be done at a REDUCED SPEED!!!!!

No do not do this unless it is absolutely needed to get you to a place where a replacement tire can be had due to the previously mentioned potential for cord damage. OR AT THE LEAST checked by a qualified person at a reputable service or tire repair shop.

A tire repaired with a single cord should be take off the rim ASAP and booted with a patch as well this is the best method for repairing a tire. When you can lube the cord with a good coat of patch cement and allow it some time to cure before travel. This helps to ensure (DOES NOT GUARANTEE) that no moisture enters the actual tire carcass and subsequently cause degradation to the belts in the tire.

Did I mention Check the spare for Air before leaving home and ensure you have a jack and wheel wrench too!!! Wheel wrench must fit lug nuts on your vehicle....LOL