Tips for getting to #2 line nut on IP?

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

After the trip down to SD I found a valley full of fuel and it dripping to the ground. A cursory look made me think Lift pump because I didn't see anything up top and it was coming from that general area. Once I popes the hood and saw the fuel I the valley I narrowed it down to the #2 line on the IP... Aka the very bottom line. Any suggestions on how to get to that nut? I have a cut down 5/8 box end that I can get on it, but I haven't figured out how to apply enough upward pressure to tighten it.

Thanks,

Ken.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
That wrench may be your best bet. It's easiest to get to with all the lines above it removed, but even then it was a tight squeeze with a crowsfoot. I was using a torque wrench though, so you'll probably have more room with a standard ratchet to wiggle in there.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Here you go. This is the cheapest tool for the nuts I have found on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251548874984?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Awesome tool

Ungodly price

That's worth about $25-$40 to me

OTC 7249 Full ball joint press is the same price practically :dunnocookoo

I think I could about make a usable copy of my own from this:
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-J6520...&qid=1458656913&sr=1-8&keywords=5/8+deep+well
Just cut a slit in it for the line

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to use a spark plug socket. clearance it in a mill. Just haven't taken the time to bring it to work yet. Spark plug socket has all sorts of clearance inside. And the OD hex if you wanted to put a wrench on it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you try making this special socket please use the deep impact type socket. That way you will have enough material to support the tool and not break it during use.

gandalf

Reaction score
Here you go. This is the cheapest tool for the nuts I have found on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251548874984?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

That one looks pretty much like this one in the specialized set I was lucky enough to borrow when I changed out my IP. The socket in question is the lower right in the picture.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF7617.JPG
    DSCF7617.JPG
    800.9 KB · Views: 150

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! Yesterday I messed around with bending a wrench, making my own crow foot, and really came to nothing. Today I'm going to take the 2wheeler out to a few local shops, talk to them and see if they have the injection line wrench, and how much they are going to charge me for a .1 hour job. If it become more cost effective to wait the time for shipping and the part I may do that. But I was hoping to get it done today.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy a deep socket....take angle grinder....cut relief holes etc and make yer own socket...maybe buy two sockets in case 1 isnt deep enough cut and weld two to make longer deeper...or weld tubing onto it...what ever it takes...

Woser case...remove ip and lines a d bam tightem em all and replace ip....make a witness mark w centre punch prior to removing it from ip gear cover....

Dont remove cover remove the ip from the cover.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to use a spark plug socket. clearance it in a mill. Just haven't taken the time to bring it to work yet. Spark plug socket has all sorts of clearance inside. And the OD hex if you wanted to put a wrench on it.
This description reminds me of an oxygen sensor socket used for gassers. I wonder if there's one the right hex size for this....

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snap-on FRX201 was the socket I've been looking to duplicate. 5/8" flare nut socket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster