Timing tool rental??

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are wise...and follow some advice, you can set timing to a few different settings, 8.5 9.5 for example, create a couple witness marks one for each setting so if you like you can try a couple different settings for a few tank fulls of fuel.

All you do is set timing to desired setting for example 8.5 deg...then with a CENTRE punch make a mark where the IP and IP gear cover meet. so you have to half circles aligned. Then set it to say 9,5 or what you desire 10...what ever then in another location do the same. Now you can switch back and forth between two settings by re-aligning the marks.

Hope that makes sense.

JM2CW

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are wise...and follow some advice, you can set timing to a few different settings, 8.5 9.5 for example, create a couple witness marks one for each setting so if you like you can try a couple different settings for a few tank fulls of fuel.

All you do is set timing to desired setting for example 8.5 deg...then with a CENTRE punch make a mark where the IP and IP gear cover meet. so you have to half circles aligned. Then set it to say 9,5 or what you desire 10...what ever then in another location do the same. Now you can switch back and forth between two settings by re-aligning the marks.

Hope that makes sense.

JM2CW

This is a really good idea, im glad you said something, definatley would not have thought about this. Thank you for the recomendation.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My timing rentals come with both tools for the timing.
i saw somewhere on here that a member used a turnbuckle to keep the idle @ desired RPM, did you throw these into the mix? just curious

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ohhhhhh wow..... Now I am going to have to figure this out! Before I install my turbo kit...
figgure it out, but dont spend any money renting or getting it timed until you have the turbo on.

always retime and tune after a major mod upgrade.
7* worked for me, but everyone is different.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
i saw somewhere on here that a member used a turnbuckle to keep the idle @ desired RPM, did you throw these into the mix? just curious

Usong this method for throttle is usually done when you use a timing light. Its very difficult to hold the throttle at 2000 rpm and shoot the light on the timing tab and miss the spinning fan blade. 6 more hand would help. So no, I do not include the turn buckle for the timing meter rentals. I also do not recommend using a 3/4 inch wrench on the pump with a turn buckle to adjust the timing with the engine running. If that wrench slips off the pump will crash over to the adjustment limits and usually snap the pump main shaft. then you loose any core value of the pump. Some do it that way and get away with it. I don't trust the turn buckle wrench idea on a running engine.

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to thank ocanfixall, I recieved the timing meter and was able to regime the motor. I had to clean the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer off to get everything to get a good reading. My timing was set between 0 to -0.5 to start even though it seemed to run just fine. It is now set at 9.5* advanced with a few other marks to move it around if need be.

sassyrel

Reaction score
I just wanted to thank ocanfixall, I recieved the timing meter and was able to regime the motor. I had to clean the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer off to get everything to get a good reading. My timing was set between 0 to -0.5 to start even though it seemed to run just fine. It is now set at 9.5* advanced with a few other marks to move it around if need be.

more advance,,than what the factory calls for,,WILL burn gp's..been there,,beru's...................................your truck,,and your money..

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
more advance,,than what the factory calls for,,WILL burn gp's..been there,,beru's...................................your truck,,and your money..

I thought factory called for 8.5 to 9.5 advanced ?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
It is 8.5 +or- 1 at 2000 RPM (7.5 - 9.5 per factory specs). I believe when people have seen the Glow Plug Erosion from advanced timing, they were way above the 9.5 "limit". I have even seen a couple of people mention being at 10.5 to help with the "new fuel" but have no information if any damage was seen. I may be wrong on this, its been awhile since I've seen the threads about erosion. Gary (icanfixall) is running 9.5ish I believe and hasn't seen any glow plug issues......

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm running 9.4 because its too hard to change for 1/10th of a degree. My meters will break down a degree of timing to any tenth you want.
Factory timing is 8.5 advance plus or minus 2 degrees. Not one. I have seen 6 degrees advance and it was lacking for power and mpg. My engine is built differently than any other engine. I run what works. I found my timing once at 11.4 advance and it ran ok but. you could feel the engine struggle that far advanced. How it got that advanced in beyond me. Sure had that power stroke clatter on a cold start.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No confusion done. An honest mistake is welcomed here. In my meter rentals I do not offer the turnbuckle but a member did send one back to me after using my service. I'm just concerned if I send that out someone might use it to adjust the timing with the engine running. If that wrench and turnbuckle slips off you just broke the main shaft in your injection pump. The twisting torque of the injection pump will cause the pump to crash over to the adjustment locks thus snapping the shaft. Then you have lost any core value of the pump. Just not worth the chance.

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm debating to do my pump myself or to a shop but no shops around do them! I would like the experience of doing it as I have learned a lot so far working on this truck. What I was going to ask is how hard of a job is this really? Trying to get my spirts built up!

Last edited:

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a little frustrating getting the bolts loose but only took about an hour or so, I did need to clean out the groove in my harmonic balancer to get a good rpm reading. I would advise doing it yourself you can mark it in a few spots then move it if you need to.

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow only an hour I was thinking more. Did you take the lines off your injectors or just the ip when you did it? Was this your first time doing one? Thanks sorry for all the ? S