timing question

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I overfilled my coolant. If you were to pull the radiator cap, should it be full when it is cold? Or should there be space?

Thanks

Well at least I don't claim to know everything like the "ford tech"LOL

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
You should fill the radiator to the brim when it's cold.

It should remain full as long as the following is true;

A) you have a good radiator cap
B) you have enough coolant in the overflow tank
C) the overfill hose goes to the bottom of the overflow tank
D) you don't have any leaks

As the coolant heats up it expands and thus builds up pressure. The overpressure lifts the relief on the radiator cap allowing the excess to flow into the reservoir. Once the engine is cool again, the coolant contracts and the resulting vacuum in the system draws the coolant back from the overflow into the radiator...

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should fill the radiator to the brim when it's cold.

It should remain full as long as the following is true;

A) you have a good radiator cap
B) you have enough coolant in the overflow tank
C) the overfill hose goes to the bottom of the overflow tank
D) you don't have any leaks

As the coolant heats up it expands and thus builds up pressure. The overpressure lifts the relief on the radiator cap allowing the excess to flow into the reservoir. Once the engine is cool again, the coolant contracts and the resulting vacuum in the system draws the coolant back from the overflow into the radiator...

If there is a leak in the system, i.e. air is entering into the coolant, then vacuum cannot build to pull the coolant back into the radiator?

Thanks

Flagship

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And, don't overfill the overflow tank! The last time I added coolant, I was pouring it into the tank from a gallon jug. Slowly. I got distracted for just a second or so but when I looked at what I was doing, the stuff was flowing over the top of the tank.

Yup! I just snapped the top on.

Yup! 47 people told me my truck was leaking antifreeze!

Took about a week for it to "self regulate" the level. In the mean time, it stunk when I stopped. LOL

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the overflow tank about half full, or empty, depends on what kind of person you are, and I still had little coolant on the fender well when i stopped. So I wiped it clean drove some and checked it, again, a little coolant on the fender well:dunno. I pulled the overflow tank filled it with water, wiped it dry and it is siting my backyard, I want to see if there is any leaks in it.

When i go to refill how much coolant to add?

Thanks yall

Flagship

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i go to refill how much coolant to add?

Thanks yall

I can't remember if there are marks on that tank or not. If so, well.... If not, mine stays about half full (or empty:rolleyes:) when cold. I really don't think it is critical as too much will simply spill out over the top. Makes a little mess but won't hurt as the cap won't hold any pressure. Just make sure there is some coolant in the tank when cold.

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't remember if there are marks on that tank or not. If so, well.... If not, mine stays about half full (or empty:rolleyes:) when cold. I really don't think it is critical as too much will simply spill out over the top. Makes a little mess but won't hurt as the cap won't hold any pressure. Just make sure there is some coolant in the tank when cold.

Right, "some guy" told me that the IDI engine does not like to have a full radiator. :dunno gotta go baby crying

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
On the firewall side of the overflow coolant tank there is a high and low mark for coolant in them.:sly

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked the pressure on the radiator cap, it was good, then I pressurized the system and found the upper radiator hose was leaking where it goes into the engine. That's probably why my radiator couldn't pull a vacuum to get the coolant out of the overflow. I put a new hose clamp on it and it seems fine. But time will tell.

I want to buy the correct Ferret timing adapter,would it be the one with the 1/4" piezo clamp or the one with the 6.5mm clamp?

Thanks for all the help