Timing Gears

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay well I had the truck too advanced yesterday and I moved it a tooth and it seemed like it was the very same, maybe I put it back in the exact same spot, dunno. Well I got tired of pulling the injector pump blindly and wanted to see what was going on. I tore the front of the motor apart and managed to get a few pics that aren't the best before it got dark. I turned the engine and lined up the indent on the crank gear and there is a 0 at the cam gear so they are lined up. But if you see my paint marks they are off a whole 90 degrees from where the y would be on the injector pump gear. This is what I ran into yesterday when I put the engine at TDC and counted out 19 teeth from each side of the Y on the Inj. pump gear and put a line straight across and tried to put it in there and was showing that it would be 90 degrees of movement from where I had my paint mark. The reason I am still kind of relying on my paint mark is I know I put it there before I removed the injector pump housing. When I put the engine together the first time it was retarded but I was able to turn it as far as I could to the passenger side and it was hard to start but would run almost normal but had gray smoke. Can the injector pump function 90 degrees off or is there something else going on with these marks? Could the cam or crank gears of been removed at one other time and put on wrong? I haven't looked close enough to see if they are removable or not. It was getting dark as I was finishing up and we have a storm coming in so I just got everything picked up before it got too dark. I hope some of the experts can look at this and chime in.

I just noticed that I must have had the camera on high quality and each pic is 3.4 MB hmm......I might try to change the settings and go take another one. I have one on my phone but it doesn't show up as good as the camera.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry but I really can't see the injection pump gear to the cam gear marks. The cam to crank gear are correctly placed... Thats a good thing...

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The injection pump gear mark is up in the cover right now in the pic. But its 90 degrees up to the left.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is what your gear timing marks need to look like when things are properly timed....Anything that does not look like this is wrong... Hope this helps you out and sorry you had to remove the front of the motor to get things right....

Attachments

• DSC00239.jpg
    DSC00239.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 20

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have found those pics before I and I understand thats how its supposed to look like but can it run fairly normal the way I have it now? Almost 90 degrees off from where it should be? I figured this out before I pulled the front cover last night when I tried an other method of putting it correctly but couldn't believe it could be so far off from where I had it running. Maybe I should just try it and see how it works out. I wouldn't think it could be any worse.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Tom... Please listen to what I'm saying... Nothing but what I have shown you in my picture will be correct. If your gear timing is not exactly like mine you will not be able to time your motor nor will it run correctly. This is one area where things can only be correct one way.... anything else is wrong and it can't work correctly. These motors can run timed 180 degrees out but... they run terrible but they do run. That doesn't make it right. So look again at my timing gear marks and time your gears to look like them....

86F2506.9

6.9 International
Reaction score
yea ive had mine run 180 degrees off after i put my new head gaskets and head studs on we didnt line it up right it took diesel crawler to come down to figure it out when we first fired my truck up at smoked like a pro pulling truck but almost worse

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay thats what I wanted to hear. I have always heard a dimes width makes a big difference so I was skeptical that it was so far off. I won't be able to get new gaskets until Tuesday so I guess I am waiting for now on putting it back together. Then I have 2 more issues. I still have the clutch deal. But today after I got it started up it was running and then all of a sudden the glow plug controller started smoking so I shut it down real quick and took the battery cables off. I took the gp cable off the solenoid and hooked the batteries back up. I tried jumping a wire across from battery to gp controller to see if the wire itself was shorting out somewhere but it did the same thing. If I touch the gp wire to the battery it instantly starts sparking. Where can it be grounding out to besides the glowplugs?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Tom... This is some advise. When you place the injection pump gear in place are you doing this when the injection pump and housing are all one piece... If so you can time the gears easy that way and... The front cover can be placed on the front of the motor easy. Just make sure you have rtv in the upper aluminum timing gear housing. That metal front plate sticks up about 1/8 inch into that cover. I would use 3M yellow weather strip cement to glue the cover gaskets to the plate. Then just a small amount of rtv against the block. The bottom of that front plate needs attention too because it has some areas where it will leak if not enough rtv us used too. You have three gasket areas comming together in that area. The front cover... The oil pan rtv gasket and the front cover gasket. So rtv that small joint area enough to see it squeeze out ...

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will definitely be setting it all up before I put the front cover back on. I have been cleaning off the rtv on the pump cover every time and putting fresh back, hope this time is the charm. I will do the rtv on the bottom of the front cover. I wish they would sell me just the timing cover and water pump gaskets without the front seal but I guess I have a pointless spare front seal. I can't see taking out my brand new one to put in another new front seal. Man I wish I would have just left it alone and put it in there this way last night when I just had the inj. pump off again. It would have been sitting exactly the right way when you put that flat marker mark across the inj. pump gear and the crank at TDC as long as it was on the compression stroke then it would of been off 180 degrees. But after taking it apart so many times I wanted to what the heck was going on down below. You can only work on something blindfolded so many times before you get fed up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk