Timing cover gaskets?

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering, before I go out and place an order for new timing cover gaskets, can I just use the, " Right Stuff"', Like on the oil pan or do I need to get the gaskets?

Thanks guys

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I don't think it will be a problem. I just finished my overhaul and I used copper plus for the oil pan gasket. I used the valve cover gaskets and the same copper plus. So far no leaks but I'm only at 135 miles now. Think of it this way. Most valve cover and oil pan gaskets are rtv now from the factory.

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
Ok, thanks guys

I'll use the sealer for the timming cover gaskets, I also have some cork roll, that I forgot I had, Im sure I can use it for something.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please don't use the cork for the timing cover gaskets. Its too soft. I can't really think of a place for it on our motors. Maybe the mechanical fuel pump block off plate but thats about it.

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
10 - 4

1 more thing, Do I use lock-tight on the oil jet bolts? any idea what to torque those to?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Tynian said:
10 - 4

1 more thing, Do I use lock-tight on the oil jet bolts? any idea what to torque those to?

Piston oil cooling tube. 100 in lbs. or (11 NM )for the metric fans. :D

I would use a thread locker on them. ;Really

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I did not use thread locker on the oil cooling jets. I just stretched the bolts by feel from years of bolt breaking ...... LOL Really, if you want to use blue loctite. That way they can't loosen up. The book says to leave them out till all the pistons are in place because the rods will hit them. Now thats right up off the stable floor. I turned my block so the pistons were level to the block and lightly tappet them in with the wooden end of a 4 lb hammer.

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
trackspeeder;

icanfixall;

Thanks for the enlightenment.

I am finally able to reply, as me wife has a flooring project that we've began and hope to finish by tuesday.

thanks again