Timing an injector pump

wayfarnorth

Reaction score
Just wondering what method everyone uses to time a P7100 injector pump on the 2nd Gen 12V. I have read the Dodge maint. manual and understand that procedure fairly well, the only problem being that I don't have the adapter and the dial indicator for the #1 delivery valve. I'm in the process of adding new injectors, 50-100 HP, new exhaust, MBRP 4" turbo back, and some gauges, boost, egt,.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I just had mine done by a local diesel shop. But that said the mount and dial indicator can be bought from Harbour Freight fairly cheap. The way I figured it was I could buy the equipment to do it or I could just pay to have it done. I should only have the timing done once since they don't move once set. So I could not justify buying the tools for what should be a one time thing. If I remember correctly it was under a hundred bucks to have the timing set - I think it was just a 1 hour shop rate/time cost - plus bay fee. Set the timing at 16.5 degrees.

wayfarnorth

Reaction score
Well, since the closest diesel mechanic is 4 hrs away and not much smarter than one of the first things to walk on earth, I bought the timing tool kit from JD's Diesel for $180. Includes socket for DV, dial indicator w/adapter, and IP gear puller. Now, the engine data plate says IP timing should be 13.5 BTDC. What is the setting for best fuel mileage.

058hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard a lot of guys like 18deg i need to set mine.

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did 17* thats the first thing i did and i actually could tell the difference. Ive heard alot of 16 and alot of 18 so i split the difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online