Tightening alternator and vaccum V belts on 7.3 al

Motorhome idi

Reaction score
I dont know what im doin wrong I know where all the pivot and adjustment bolts are and idk i guess i cant get enough leverage.. Does it take the worlds strongest person to tighten it enough or am i missing something.. i have a long wrench for leverage and everything. & if anyone had a link to a manual that would be cool too cuz google doesnt even have one

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the alternator, use a long pry bar and get the end underneath the alternator body and push it up. You'll find a spot on either the alternator bracket itself or the thermostat housing to use for leverage. It's a two handed job, one to work the pry bar and one to tighten the bolt when it's where you need it.

The vacuum pump bracketry itself i've never adjusted so I can't speak for that, i've always been able to get the tension on that belt right without messing with its bracketry, just the alternator.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a big wrench on the upper bolt lug on the alternator to pull it tight. Once the alternator is tight ( By the way the alternator belt will always be floppier looking than all of the other belts when properly tightened. ) I then use a 3/8 inch short extension on a ratchet inserted into the 3/8 inch square hole in the vacuum pump mounting plate to put tension the the vacuum belt and then tighten the mounting plate bolts.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is some pics for you.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Try loosening it up some. That will make it easier to tighten the alternator belt because you'll only be pulling on one belt.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Big wrench doesn't work well on my E-350, for alternator tightening. Body is maybe 2" above the top of the alternator.

BUT, the best leverage I've found is the good old factory lug wrench. I put the pry-end on a stud sticking up near the thermostat, and there ya go.

Removed and reinstalled alternator maybe 5 times in the last couple weeks, due to no-charge. Found the issue. It's in another thread.

stick_witch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a little different technique... i like to use a ratchet strap, for the alternator, vacuum pump and power steering.

I like this method because you don’t have to juggle two wrenches, and you can get it a lot tighter and actually get it to the exact tightness you want, and be able to check it before you button everything up.

Just be cautious what you bend the strap over. For the alt and vacuum pump its fairly straight forward, hook the ratchet end to pax side wheel, droop strap over the fender, i recommend putting a clean rag under the strap if you care about your paint, and then hook on to the alt or vac, then tighten it up, but not too tight. Check belt tightness as you go. Perfect belt tension every time![emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online