Throwout Bearing?

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey yall hows it going.. well got the new clutch in now im having another small issue.. was a problem but now its just annoying.. well heres what happened after I put my new clutch in she was running great now ratteling nothing.. till one day the clutch master cylidner resvoir ran out of flud and i didnt know it until the clutch wouldnt disengage to shift gears. so I put some fluid in and bled the clutch so it was shifting all fine.. now its ratteling like hell and i took it to someone and they said it was the throwout bearing.. it was giving me hell to shift until i dropped the tranny for the 2nd time (the time it only took me 2 hours to drop and bolt back up lol) and removed the bearing and was gonna put the new one in but noticed the new one doesnt have that plastic housing on it. the new one is just a metal bearing.... I was thinking maybe that it was just the clutch lines had a little air in it and thats why it wasnt disengaging all the way. like when I take off in 1st or when i have low RPM's it rattels like hell.. but when i run it above 1,000 like above 1200 RPM it dont rattel.. the clutch doesnt slip or anything its just annoying... before I lost the fluid and bled the clutch it never ratteled or nothin wasnt a dang thing wrong with it... now it just rattels like all hell broke loose... whats the problem??? someone said i need an new clutch slave cylinder and a bearing.. the guy from Oreilly's thinks its the slave cylidner and the throwout bearing...

also when my truck is a a slight incline and i have it in gear with engine turned off it seems to roll slightly.. i tried 1st and reverse and it still roles??? does this have to do with slave cylinder not engaging and disengaging all the way???

also it rattled before this with the old clutch but not as noticeable... and not near as loud.. than today my check engine light turned on right before i ran out of gas but usually when I put gas in it it turns off this time it didnt turn off. my engine runs just fine.. no problem... any suggestions??

Electromag

Reaction score
If its the throw out bearing, you will feel it in the pedal when you push it down, or hear it then. If its rattling when you have your foot off the clutch, then I guess I would have hear it to know more. I dont know, Im no expert like some folks on here.

As far as your check engine light, my 91 F350 check engine light comes on when the brake fluid is low. You can get a decoder to find out exactly whats up.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no i dont think you would feel it on the clutch pedal because its Hydraulic not mechanical. im just gonna throw a new bearing in there too see if thats gonna help it any hopefully it will. if not does anyone have an extra slave cylinder lying around. with gas prices these days 50-60$ for a slave cylinder is a tank of gas for me on mid grade fuel...

thanks.

KK/Fordman41291

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so heres what goin on.. so the bearing is goin out.. and the slave cylinder is about shot... i got a new bearing but i dont have a slave cylinder??? anyone got an extra slave cylinder hangin around somewhere?? id buy a new one but funds are strapped so tight ther about to snap like a rubber band...

please let me know..

thanks

Ken Klein/Fordman41291