throw out bearing and who knows what else

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Well I took a few hours out of my busy schedule yesterday to change out my pedal assembly. the one I had was for a 92-97 style and it was close but not right, so I pulled one from an 88 at the salvage yard that was the exact match to what mine would have had stock.

long story short got that and the steering column and shaft in, fired up the truck and adjusted the clutch master cylinder rod so I had clutch disengagment. so far so good.

put it in first and take off out to test it and my throw out bearing start squealing everytime I push the clutch in. well damn. no biggy, just need to put a to bearing in after work on monday.

keep driving and it gets worse and worse till it gets hard to push the clutch in. trying to get back home today from picking up some garage fodder and the pedal gets REALLY stiff, then somthing blows and Im floating gears. made it home, now I get to put a clutch in tommorow after work.

anyone know where I can get a snout for a zf5? I kinda doubt it survived this little F*&k up. I am going to get the single mass flywheel tommorow through a place locally that we deal with at the dealership, I have the luk upgraded clutch kit, I have a to bearing and pilot bearing. I just need to know where to get the snout so I can have my truck down for as short a time as possible.

this sucks a lot.

what next.

punk

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I crawled under it to see what went and didnt see fluid leaking and what not. got in the cab to move the pedal and found out I broke the metal rod for the clutch master. I will take pics as it comes apart. I have seen every other part of this style clutch system fail, this is a new one for me.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All Trans will have any part you need for the trans .they may also have a really good deal on the flywheel. Call me tomorrow.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I got the trans out and installed a new zf singlemass flywheel and the uppgraded clutch. having a turbo in the way makes it way way harder. I started at 8 am this morning (work was slow, so I got to punch out and use a lift) I tried at first to work around the uppipes and downpipe and not have to pull EVERYTHING but little by little it all wound up coming out. finished it up at around 7 pm and it is like a new truck. Im am flat floored at how smooth the shifts are and how effortless the clutch is. Its really amazing. I have heard a lot of stories about the rollover noise when switching to single mass but I dont have any issues. I topped it off with one quart 75w90 and the rest trans fluid to try and cut down any that might come up but the only times I notice it is on decel around 1500 rpm it gets a little noisy that and when I shut it down it no longer has the dual mass rattle (BIG plus in my book).

I will get a few pics of the exploded throw out bearing as soon as I figure out how. It literally tore itself into more pieces than it took to make it. somehow I didnt destroy the snout (yoke, quill, whatever name you call it).

all in all its a big improvement.

punk

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

if this works this is the blown apart bearing, the lower right is what all those pieces looked like when I put it in 7 months ago.

punk

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Click Here for the pic

That's the best I could do. Might want to try using webshots next time. :dunno

Where did all the little balls go? Where there any in there, or did they all fall out?

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
the actual bearings where non existent. I dont have the lower inspection cover (didnt come with the trans and I have yet to find one in the junk yard) but i think I heard a few come out. Driving down the highway at a set speed, all of a sudden I would hear a noise from the trans area and it would continue for a few seconds then stop only heard it twice or maybe three times and I now assume that was a bearing spinning in the case until it found an exit

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem. I would guess that TOB must have made some noise for quite a while before it fell apart?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem. I would guess that TOB must have made some noise for quite a while before it fell apart?
mel-
remember I posted one of those a few years back:eek:
they don't give a whole lot of warning. there's pressure on them all the time from the hydraulics. I did limp my truck home from Fresno to SJ floating gears all the way. only bad part about doing that was the trans case cracked from the TOB going bad. I'm going to be practicing TIG welding a case in the near future since I'm going to need to have some more spares on hand.

In2Fords

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to replace the clutch master/slave/rod from pedal to master/TOB/cutch/pressure plate when I first bought my 86. I dont know bout the ZF5 but the T19 is a heavy **** when doing it solo with only a small engine hoist and a sizzor jack!

My clutch pedal rod was bent in half, the firewall was ripped and there was less left of the TOB then what you had posted and the guy still drove it daily!

glad you got it all back together, its got to be a bigger hassle with the turbo pipes in the way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhill5353

Members online