throttle sticking???????

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just got a 82 burban with a 6.2 diesel, i dont know squat about this engine, i noticed first thing off the bat that when you "goose" the throttle it returns very very slowly, its especially bad when your pulling out or going up a hill...it seems the throttle just wont release when you take your foot off the pedal. it has a new injector pump on it...i bought it like that...is this normal and if not how do you fix it? its dangerous if you ask me...you have to stand on the brakes to slow it down if it does it...and it does it every time. PLEASE HELP!!!!! and how dependable are these engines...?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
howdy!
It sounds like your throttle return spring is either not hooked up properly or missing. Look for it and report back. As far as dependability goes, don't ever overheat it. make sure the cooling system is in top condition. Other than that, after you get the throttle fixed, drive it like you stole it. these engines like to rev and hates lugging.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stupid question...but where is the spring supposed to be located???? it doesnt do this when it isnt running...shut it down and it returns fairly normally...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
holtzer1 said:
stupid question...but where is the spring supposed to be located???? it doesnt do this when it isnt running...shut it down and it returns fairly normally...
Follow the throttle cable on the driver's side of the motor, at the end of the throttle cable there should be a snap connector onto a ball at the end of the arm. there should be a spring on the end of the arm going to the bracket where the throttle cable housing is at.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well thanks...that solves that problem...no throttle return spring...it has a brand ne pump on it..i guess they must have had some extra pieces when they were done...i see where it hooks up to the bracket...does the other end just go around the pin that the end of the throttle cable goes to? (where it connects to the pump/ little clip deal there)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
holtzer1 said:
well thanks...that solves that problem...no throttle return spring...it has a brand ne pump on it..i guess they must have had some extra pieces when they were done...i see where it hooks up to the bracket...does the other end just go around the pin that the end of the throttle cable goes to? (where it connects to the pump/ little clip deal there)
YUP. don't get too stiff of a spring or you will put unecessary wear on the shaft in the pump.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanx man...much appreciated...i dont know anything about this engine at all...i thought it was normal...thanx again, off to carquest in am i spose

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i got a return spring and whallaah...perfect throttle return. now to start the body work..new quarters and rockers...yippeee.. then to paint that huge ass suburban..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726