Throttle Cable

Obsolete

Reaction score
I was driving my 89 350 supercab the other day and the throttle stuck open at 2200 RPM. When I got it home I determined that the cable was beginning to fray at the firewall. I called my Ford Dealer to be told the part is no longer available. I did a temp band-aid repair by attaching a spring to the pump connection so it returns to idle.

Does anyone have a source for a replacement or fabricated one from a transplant? the cruise control piggy backs at the pump and I want to keep it. The cable length is 33".

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Pretty sure the parts stores have them.
Just because ford doesn't have them, doesn't mean that the aftermarket doesn't.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I think company called pioneer makes them, they're on autopart websites. However, i've read that they are MEGA cheap compared to OEM. An OEM would cost about $100 and aftermarket about $10. OEM has all the teflon/anti stick and wear coatings inside the sheath, the aftermarket ones have basically zero. There is definitely a reason why they cost way less. I would search around on ebay and try to find an OEM or maybe even find a good used one somewhere.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The throttle requires a double return spring to be legally driven on the streets here in the USA. If your involved in an acident a sharp insurance agent can "find" this and you will be at fault for driving an unsafe truck.

Obsolete

Reaction score
The truck still has the OEM return springs, I just added an additional to ensure no hang-ups until I get a replacement. Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
That's weird. I just bought one from a Ford dealer online maybe 6 months ago. Try another dealer, or search online.

Mike

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Napa has them. 50 ish bucks. And 92 up is different. Looks the same , its not ,inner cable is longer puts pedal on the floor at rest.