Throttle cable question

duaneboggs

Reaction score
My throttle cable snapped right at the pedal today.

My truck has cruise control. There are two idi trucks sitting at the pnp but they don't have cruise. Are the cable assemblies the same or is cruise different?

Also, is there supposed to be some kind of retainer or clip that holds the cable in the end of the pedal? When I pulled the broken piece off today it was held to the pedal with a hose clamp.:rolleyes:

Duane

91/2 7.3idi

BarnyardFabrication
Reaction score
cables should be the same. definitely not supposed to be held to the pedal with a hose clamp, dont believe anything holds it there besides the pressure of the cable

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pedal mechanism itself should have a little slotted pocket that the cable fits into.

That end of the cable should terminate in a cylindrical lead slug, made onto the end of the cable, maybe 5/16" diameter and 3/8" long.

This lead slug rests in the aforementioned slotted pocket.

Good hardware stores will have all sorts of these cable-ends that can be either crimped or soldered.

I have used them to make and repair park-brake cables with good results by crimping.

About fifty-cents should get you back in business.

I suggest you remove the cable assembly from the truck, maybe a five-minute task, and make the repair on the work-bench.

Then, before re-assembly, hang the cable length-wise behind the wood-stove with the bottom end over a can, and squirt oil into the cable at the top end, until the oil drips freely out the bottom.

This will drive out any moisture and the cable will work slicker than a new one. ;Sweet

duaneboggs

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

When it broke it frayed all the way up to where the cable goes into the housing, so repairing it won't work, however it is good to know those little ends can be had by themselves in case I need them for something else.

Thanks again!

Duane

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember right the cruise control and throttle cables are two different cables and both snap on to the throttle arm of the IP. I do not remember how they attach on the go pedal end, but I'm sure Midnight Rider's info is good.