Thoughts on Colors?

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO I have been buying parts and saving up to do some van work this spring/summer. One of the things I am planning on is having some body work done and getting a paint job. Originally I was going to go all black, but now I am second guessing that. Debating between black, red or blue. Figured I would see what you guys like. Post what you like, or don't like, and why. For reference, here is the van. The interior is a mix of blue and black. The plan is to replace the blue carpet with black as well as changing out the door panels to a brushed diamond plate. There still would be small amounts of exposed blue on the inside of the doors:
You must be registered for see images attach

Red would be something along these lines. Black accents....grill, rims etc

The blue I would go with is the same as my Taurus.

Or I could go all black. Originally I was thinking a Satin black or Gloss black with Satin accents....but now I may just go all gloss.

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like black but the sun really heats things up and it's a pita to keep clean. Red looks sweet.

Most of my trucks and vans usually end up white.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black is a pain, but looks awesome if the body work under it was done correctly and it's kept clean. Pollen, dust or even bugs can completely un-do a days worth of cleaning without driving one mile! I've considered having a portion of mine re-painted silver with just the center black. From this to something like this??? Point is, carefully weigh the "black" option.....

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My father told me any body work, dents or imperfections show the most with black paint and the least with white. So the lighter color the more forgiving. Darker colors show the smallest imperfections.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blue.
Medium Lapis Metallic, code 'KG'. Sexiest color ever :p :fan: It seems to look darker at night (no ****), grey at times, and brilliant in the snow. Kind of a chameleon color. Lotsa metalic in it also.

I also like the red on our 2017 Caravan - "octane red" - very deep rich looking red.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmm. I like red, but I think it would look goofy with the small amounts of blue that will be seen on the inside. I think the black at the bottom, the bumpers and grill on the red one I posted looks nice. Not sure how the black accent would look with blue though? I have always liked the blue of my Taurus.

A lighter roof would help with heat, but I am not sure how to make it work without it looking off.

Runningaford

Reaction score
A'hem, my avatar color(s) for your rig, it costs less than $60 bucks in rattle cans, and you can't see any dents, scrapes, or scratches; Just kidding! :p In all reality, I like your thinking, with either the solid red, or blue with the black accents; my personal tastes would go blue, with the black accents.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback I have a while to think on it since I won't be able to take it off the road for the work until spring time.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love matte black but it's not a color you wanna have to look at everyday.
I contemplated between red and white for mine but since most cheaper paint shops seem to only get white right, I'll probably be going white with mine.
My favorite choice would be gloss black but like others said, the bodywork has to be perfect.
I'd honestly rather have a truck with a wore out good paint job, as opposed to a new paint job that looks like crap

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a shop that's going to do it for you? Seems like finding a good paint shop is not as easy as it would seem.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a shop that's going to do it for you? Seems like finding a good paint shop is not as easy as it would seem.

Yes. I will have to get pics of some of the cars he has done. He has done a number of them for cars at REALLY high end shows. If memory serves he has had more than 1 at SEMA and Barrett Jackson. Mostly old muscle car builds. When I stopped in the other day he was doing some body and paint work on a guys Barracuda with a twin turbo v10 out of a Viper. I will spare you all the details on the car, but the original build on it was about half a million. He didn't do the build, but you don't take that kind of a car to just any yahoo with a paint gun.....only the skilled yahoos.

Also finishing up a complete build on a LS swapped '68 Camaro and all the body work/paint on a 50 something Vette.

It's kinda funny cause the shop is located in a little town in northern Indiana. Website isn't completely up to day, but it has a gallery with some of the cars.

http://grabillautomotive.com/gallery/

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wraps seem to be popular, you might also consider investigating that as another possibility. Not sure how they compare in price or service life vs conventional paint job however they do offer virtually anything you can imagine (prints & colors).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online