Thought of the day. Does one T-stat flow enough coolant?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
My radiator pooped the bed so I've been doing all those little things while the coolant is drained. Oil cooler seals, new block heater and a brand new t-stat. Its funny I tore everything apart to replace the t-stat there's a lot of stuff in the way! I had everything put back together when I realized I only installed the new gasket and forgot to put the t-stat in :rolleyes:cookoo:dunno DOH!

Anyway my thought of the day: Everyone knows when these engines are working they build enormous amounts of heat. Do you think the dinky little t-stat is flowing enough fluid or do you think it makes matters worse in that situation? I understand you don't want fluid to travel too quickly through the radiator... The reason I ask is so many new diesels have two t-stats. Upgrading to 2 stats on my old GM 6.5TD was the best thing ever. I know theres no practical way to prove this theory but what do you think?

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have decided that it does not flow enough to cool a hard worked turbo motor. When I was having heating issues with my truck, I ended up removing the stat, and blocking the bypass in the block. would take about 30 miles (loaded) to get up to 180*, and couldnt get more than about 210 beating the crap out of it. Normal temps with stat were 195 on the flats, and would get up above 260 pretty quickly on big hills or high speed. When there is enough airflow to cool the radiator, you can not flow coolant to fast. The hotter you can get the radiator the better it will work.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it had needed to be upgraded I'm sure Ford or IH would have...these engines are used in just about every application of the time including medium duty trucks buses and such. They are fine if you use a STOCK stat...not aftermarket...

JM2CW

Black dawg

Reaction score
If it had needed to be upgraded I'm sure Ford or IH would have...these engines are used in just about every application of the time including medium duty trucks buses and such. They are fine if you use a STOCK stat...not aftermarket...

JM2CW

I dont think heating was ever an issue when these trucks were stock. All of my experience was with motorcraft and IH t stats.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Anyone ever see the size of the radiater in the big dump trucks that have these idi engines in them... Well they are huge plus.... The water pump has a 4 bolt flange on the end of it for the larger fan and fan clutch. At 3000 rpm our engines push around 34 gallons per minute thru the system... The oil pump is pushing around 18 gallons per minute at that rpm....

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i would say the cooling system is pretty efficient. after i get to work/school and let the engine/turbo cool down for a couple minutes, within a couple minutes the coolant temp drops about 5*F.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No comment on the thermostat, but moving from the old copper/brass radiator to the aluminum unit yielded significant temperature reduction.

I have the Spectre/AutoZone cu1165.

Hardass559

89 7.3 banks turbo
Reaction score
well at least im not the only one that see's 260 wile working his truck my old moter usta go all the way back to the peg on my auto meter temp gage i also change my radiator when i switched moters ... any sugetions i would say pluged radiator is the cause of the heat but im gonna try a new moter craft thermostat befor finding anouther radiator last one was 150 from junk yard for a 4 row outta a van plus the old radiator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin