This weekend its finally time

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Thanks, just to clarify this is a Holset off a 5.9 Cummins on the factory setup. I'm sure there are less clearance issues with the factory turbo. I'm 90% sure mine performs better though. Never drove one with the factory turbo though

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Just an update if anyone is following. Have a few hundred miles on it and have my gauges in. Cruising at 60-65 I'm running about 4-5 pounds of boost, egts are 5-600 most of the time. Highest I've got the egts as 1150, by the time it breaks 1000 Im breaking every speed limit in the country. Ill have to wait until I put my truck and trailer on behind next month to really test that. Im still impressed with the power and spool, my factory pump is almost maxxed out and it clears up all my smoke, impressive since this thing was the smokiest pig I've ever seen before. Im sure this setup still has a lot left on the table, I'm only running 10 pounds of boost and when the external wastegate opens you can hear the rush of air over the engine, some serious flow coming through through that thing. Once I get my studs and valve springs in Ill turn up the boost and see if my pump has any more left in it. Hope this is helping someone ;Sweet

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Thought I would update you guys now that I have a few thousand miles on the setup. Takes a while, only internet is my phone.

First off, I'm out of fuel, even at 10psi it clears up my smoke. Only time I have hit over 1200 degrees empty was a 30-70mph pull on a 6% grade.

Towing is no comparison compared to N/A, my mud truck is a 79 Ford, probably about 7000 pounds plus trailer which is fairly light. Towed it 300 miles round trip, never dipped below 50mph unless it was on corners etc, that was on a long 6-7% grade. Most of the rolling hills and lesser ones I pulled at 60 or the speed limit. Big hills were egt limited, intercooling would help a lot I'm sure. Made about 10mpg on that trip even.

Other loads have been the Lewiston grade which if you have pulled it know that it can meltdown anything. Pulled a trailer loaded with all my buddys furniture on it at 60, didn't think that was bad.

Put my 4000 pound Explorer on the trailer and it was about like diving empty compared to my 79! No lack of power whatsoever.

Overall I love it, can't wait till I get studs and turn the boost up, which reminds me my eBay external wasegate gamble is holding up awesome! Next is head studs, followed by intercooling, and the quest for more fuel!

bigpanda16

Reaction score
What size external gate did you use?
38,44,50?
And
What about the placement of it, could you post pics?

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
38mm gate, welded into the crossover under the truck. I wasnt paying enough attention when I mounted it and it hangs way lower than I would like. It flows enough air that I dont get boost creep. It flows a lot of air though, the rush is deafening if it opens at high RPM again a retaining wall or or something. I should probably route it into the exhaust one day, so many projects.

Wastegate placement
You must be registered for see images attach

Edit: Uploading a couple videos

Last edited:

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I dont know why photobucket video quality is so horrible

You can hear how loud the wastegate is in this video as I pass the camera

This is a 0-70 run

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
great write up! and good work! ;Sweet

Thanks a lot! Theres been a lot of talk about HX35s and the like on this forum including my own the last couple years. Just hope my troubles and experience can help someone when it comes time for them to do it!

my85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I put a banks kit on my truck but its always great to have other resources to go to ! you know to save some bucks ! The truck sounds sweet! Please let me know of any other upates ! and pics

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HE 351 VE setup vs yours???

Here you can see where the HX35s bigger exhaust housing would prevent an intake into the engine

Compressor housing, meet injector line

The industrial turndown intended for an upright stack, lots of tight fits on this project

I really really like what I see here! Fabulous!

This gives me hope that the HE351VE Ian has, well he has two of them, could be used quite nicely to do a setup similar to yours. It has the bent outlet on the impeller side so that may be of advantage it's hard to say. THEY are however HUGE!

Being a VGT it would provide great throttle response and subsequently nice top end too. Along with that an exhaust brake inclusive if done correctly!

He's got some fab skillz so anything I cannot do, he likely would/could to help. plus he has a nice lathe and milling machine, tig, mig, stick, plasma bla bla bla...ya nice shop he has!

The more I read and re read this thread the more I want to go that route.

Now is your truck on stock body mounts? Or does it have a body lift? If so how much?

Would a body lift help as it appears it would for clearance for turbo?

I'm watching you very very closely with this setup.

Thanks again, and btw the vids are cool and ya a tube from WG to exhaust would be nice and quiet then.

Again awesome build

Al

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Thanks a ton! Yes I am on stock body mounts, a body I'm sure would help immensely fitting a larger turbo like the he351ve, the adapter from t3 to the he351ve would help as well, might be tricky to get it on the ATS drain pedestal at that point. As far as the turnout on the compressor housing goes, with a front mount intercooler that should work very well. I intend to use an air/water however since I have the extra wide radiator. Biggest issue with the 351 that I can see is getting any sort of intake hat on the intake manifold, even with the slightly larger Hx35 exhaust housing it wouldn't clear the low profile base of Russ' intake hat. Body lift would also be required for the 4" downpipe. Sorry for the lack of paragraphs, my phone doesn't agree with them. If I think of anything else I'll add it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks a ton! Yes I am on stock body mounts, a body I'm sure would help immensely fitting a larger turbo like the he351ve, the adapter from t3 to the he351ve would help as well, might be tricky to get it on the ATS drain pedestal at that point. As far as the turnout on the compressor housing goes, with a front mount intercooler that should work very well. I intend to use an air/water however since I have the extra wide radiator. Biggest issue with the 351 that I can see is getting any sort of intake hat on the intake manifold, even with the slightly larger Hx35 exhaust housing it wouldn't clear the low profile base of Russ' intake hat. Body lift would also be required for the 4" downpipe. Sorry for the lack of paragraphs, my phone doesn't agree with them. If I think of anything else I'll add it.

Hmm... I just happen to have an IC that WILL fit across that rad I do...fyi! BIG one bout 3" deep 12-13 inches tall wide enough to go AROUND outside edge of rad! PM me for details!

Yes I understand that the intake hat may be a problem. I've got one from a stock 093 and one from 088 and worse case. Mod the intake and have a custom pipe welded right to it! SKIP that issue! LOL

With what I'm doing I MUST do a 3" body lift to accommodate a cab swap. That will help so will some custom fire wall mods planned as well! Like cutting that #&%^$*! seam away and making a curved path for say UP/DOWN pipes clearanced as needed! welded back in place and sealed up tight then insulated!

I'm going to as I've said be watching this as my friend and I are talking swapping turbos. Or me getting his cheap! I'll be posting if I do.

Thanks and I can't wait to see more boost with studs!

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
All that room behind the engine would help a lot. I can't wait for studs, if anybody would buy my dang Mustang they are sitting on the shelf at Alligator waiting for me even! I plan to bump boost to 20, as it is the turbo is barely working, the wastegate is open almost all the time under WOT. 20 should be well within the turbos range, if only I could afford to have the truck down long enough to do a cam I would really be cooking!