Thinking of turboing...

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
I really want to put a hypermax kit on the old girl, but since I'm nearing the big 300K, should I be concerned about adversely affecting the engine? I'm not going to be trying for obscene numbers, I just want to supplement the top end performance. I am not sure on the entire mechanical history of this truck, but I plan on paying a visit to the local shop where the PO had all of his work done.

Thanks in advance.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate. About the only thing your going to need to worry about is headgaskets leaking fluids on you. It may not happen right away, and it may not happen for a good while, but the truth is, weather you turbo or not, it's going to happen. The turbo just sort of helps the process along some.

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
I suppose that I will need to get the engine cleaned up then, my valve cover do some pretty serious leaking, and fix any other leaks while I'm there, so there are a few problems that need to be addressed.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the 86 head gaskets one of the better designs? (provided mine haven't been off...)

tractorman86

Reaction score
not sure about the hg but fix the major leaks and go for it. if the motor is ready to let go it will even without the help of a turbo, if not you are good.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About the head gaskets... There has been several upgrades made to them over the years. Felpro has about the best head gaskets on the open market. Gaskets are there bread and butter so they have really put the research into them. International has done wonders to their gaskets too. Many members will use them for gaskets. My original motor had either 276 or 376,000 miles on the passenger side head gasket. About 200,000 miles of that was with a Banks Sidewinder boosting to 12 lbs... So, as you can see the original head gaskets can last... I had a cylinder cavitate on the drivers side and I told the shop to replace the passenger side head gasket while the motor was out on the stand.... They told me after they installed the motor that it was not needed at this time so they didn't do as I asked...:mad: Long story... It was the future labor they were looking at.... Well, they never got another dime from me..... Who won that one huh....LOL Anyway, add the turbo but concider the miles if you see things going south. I really dought any problems will come from the turbo. Just keep the boost around 10 lbs and the pyro at 1050 and it will run fine....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online