Things are moving along

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
well i went today to look at the plasma table...and put a down payment on it.

You must be registered for see images attach

ill be picking up either the end of this week or monday... my electric wont even get started until the 3rd weekend in nov and i got some other mechanical work i need to move out and set up all the business end of things...but so far its working out as planned...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks cool! I'm afraid and curious at the same time, to see what you'd charge to make an engine adapter plate... :angel:
you'll need to go CNC for that.
plasma does have it's limitations.
our truck frames are about as thick as you realistically want to go.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i had to read your response a couple of times but i think i got the jist...

what towcat is trying to say is you will probably have to have an engine adapter CNC MACHINED rather then plasma cut. IT all depends on the engine setup Towcat....the adapter to bolt a sidekick 1.6 to my samurai 1.3 trans is a plasma cut plate with some drilled holes.

ive seen thicker adapters but you get into issues with the starter and having to space out the flywheel off the crank. but that totally depends on the application.

this machine is capable of cutting up to 1" and probably slightly larger if i would want to try

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i

ive seen thicker adapters but you get into issues with the starter and having to space out the flywheel off the crank. but that totally depends on the application.

this machine is capable of cutting up to 1" and probably slightly larger if i would want to try
our block to trans adapters are at least 1" thick.
i've worked with the same plasma unit in the past and I guess my hand isn't steady enough to go slow to do 1" plate. it would be a challenge.

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what you are paying for this unit but you better make sure that you get spare zip-ties for the torch head. The price of replacements could add up to more then what you are paying for the whole unit :D Looks good I hope to see some IDI specific parts arriving at my door when you get the ball rolling.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat...this is a CNC plasma unit...
Forgive me for my confusion, but does that mean that it is possible, or that it's not possible/feasible?

Thank you for trying to make it clear to someone who isn't all that well-versed in machine work at this scale... :)

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
the cnc cutter would be ok to rough out the part but i would say you still would want the adapter CNC machined

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat...this is a CNC plasma unit...
i know what it is. that's why I am itching to have some firewall plates made by you:D I can't get a clean precision cut by freehand no matter how many beers I drink to get the shakes calmed down.cookoo
I also do know the limitations of the technology and the equipment. I've been fabbing stuff all my life. the project just get more complex and expensive as I get older.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i know what it is. that's why I am itching to have some firewall plates made by you:D I can't get a clean precision cut by freehand no matter how many beers I drink to get the shakes calmed down.cookoo
I also do know the limitations of the technology and the equipment. I've been fabbing stuff all my life. the project just get more complex and expensive as I get older.

ok...was alcohol involved in the previous post? LOL if so i totally understand...i guess i just missed what you posted in the other response.

i have to say the guy cut a part in front of me today and i think he didn't know how to run the machine properly. he cut a part from 16ga and had more slag then it should have and was pretty slow. i did see some stuff they cut out of 16ga stainless and the corner definition was actually pretty good.

the more things are working the more i get excited about this endeavor. i had an interesting proposal the other night from a southwest 4x4 parts vendor that i know about possibly becoming his east coast manufacturer and supplier....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok...was alcohol involved in the previous post? LOL if so i totally understand...i guess i just missed what you posted in the other response.

i have to say the guy cut a part in front of me today and i think he didn't know how to run the machine properly. he cut a part from 16ga and had more slag then it should have and was pretty slow. i did see some stuff they cut out of 16ga stainless and the corner definition was actually pretty good.

the more things are working the more i get excited about this endeavor. i had an interesting proposal the other night from a southwest 4x4 parts vendor that i know about possibly becoming his east coast manufacturer and supplier....
currently, there's no alcohol involved. gimme an hour:D;Sweet
you're going to find there's a real finesse to these plasma units.
i have a very steady gun hand, but you could have been fooled by the results on a hand held plasma. slag is caused by either not hot enough of a arc, not enough air pressure or too fast of a feed rate(CNC stuff). you're gonna have a steep learning curve.;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.