These the correct oil cooler O-rings???

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I got them from Rock Auto. I'll be doing the oil cooler this weekend and I'm not really looking forward to it. I'll have plenty of pics.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Yup, you're golden. make sure you lube them ******** up so as not to knick them. If you haven't already checked em out, dieselcrawler did a write-up on the oil cooler rebuild. It's in the Tech Articles section.

EDIT: Here's a little extra confirmation on the O-rings if they have a FoMoCo PN. http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51330&highlight=cooler

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes on so many fronts but.. That paper gasket with the three bolt holes in it will only fit the van rear header on the oil cooler. Its cheaper for the company to stock on gasket set that works for both engine applications.. Your good to go... Be careful under there... Gravity sucks everything down in your face no matter how heavy it is.... Pictures are needed too...:angel:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And do not silicone the gaskets, I glue them to the headers with high tack so they cant move and usually use nothing next to the block.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I got them from Rock Auto. I'll be doing the oil cooler this weekend and I'm not really looking forward to it. I'll have plenty of pics.

Hope you don't mind but what was the investment on those? I would like to know cause up here in Canuckexpensive land those would be waaaay dear!

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
For two oil coolers' worth, they cost me right around 60 bucks for JUST the O-rings. The gaskets aren't but about 5 bucks from the parts store around here. Now, I bought my o-rings from the dealer too.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
15 bucks shipped from Rock Auto.

Dang! I just looked on Rock auto , it's only $6.32 for those factory oil cooler seals ( VR makes the IH factory stuff )! last time I got a set at the IH dealer they were near $60 and the gaskets alone ran me about $22 around here, but at least they weren't fel pro
That's a steal. I need to order up a set just to have on hand at that price, heck get a couple and give me an excuse to rebuild the spare cooler I have laying around

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow...:eek: For that price I'm in for a couple sets as spare parts. I hope its a spare part that I never need but having them is way better than wanting them on a Sunday nite after everybody is closed...:sly

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I did mine I used vasoline to lube and from what I read about after the fact I don't think its slippery enough.

Would love to hear what is the most slippery cocktail you can make to reseal?

I pinched mine trying to do one bundle at a time with a jack and wood under the rear bumper. Looked good then all of a sudden it shot off to the side.

And I have read that it should be easy to press them together easy but damn I cleaned mine up and it sure couldn't be done without all that force at the time with vasoline.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I used vasoline when I rebuilt my oil cooler. I bought a large pipe wood clamp called a Bessy clamp but any large wood pipe clamp works fine. Fit one end on at a time and be careful to keep the header aligned with the bundle. Test fit the bundle to the header without any o-rings just so you see how close the fit is. I was having some trouble getting on a header till I found the header was out of alignment with the bundle. Then it slid on easily. Once both headers were on I left the clamp in place and installed my o-ring air tester. Pressureized to 30 lbs... Found no leaks.. Installed a working oil cooler with no worries of it leaking... Peace of mind is priceless..... We have a member here that has a new never used Ford Rotunda oil cooler tester.. Maybe he will loan it out..... For a cost plus a deposit... They are very expensive tools but they are priceless allowing you the knowledge that you didn't cut an o-ring. Cut one and install the cooler.. Gees.. You win an opertunity to do this job twice... Lucky you...:angel:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
liquid dish soap is the best. actually JD liner oring lube is but its jusy like lemon fresh joy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online