The Ultimate IDI?

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Dang,do you work for Government liquidation or something?That turbo engine side pic looks like one of theirs.Just enough to tease ya but not enough to positively ID what turbo it has....It kinda looks like a C turbo though.....

Freight_Train

Reaction score
ok,upon closer inspection...All I see wrong is you have a blown axle seal on the passenger side front rear axle.Easy fix.About $30 and a hour or two.Check out ODiron.com for full axle kits if you wanna go ahead and do both sides.The front and rear uses the same inner seal.But the front doesn't have the outter seal.It has a separate seal inside the axle housing itself that is a SOB to change.Pretty much pull both sides down,use a pipe to go through the chunk and hit it with a hammer to knock teh seal and the retainer plate out.Good thing is,as long as you don't do anything TOO stupid you really don't replace these very often.ONLY use Dot 5(Not Dot 5.1 or Dot 3) brake Fluid unless you completely flush the entire system with alcohol.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freight train, you are really up on these deuces, after reading you post I put 2 and 2 together and realized you are on the SS forum as well. Nice to have a fellow boob over there. I am hoping the axle is a seal and not a wheel cylinder, the fluid doesn't smell like gear oil. I am going to look into bypassing the "dohicky". I may PM you for details later.

I thought about getting one at auction but you really dont know exactly what you are getting and titling issues as well. I decided to get one from a person so id know exactly what I was getting into. I may buy my next at auction.

Freight_Train

Reaction score
well,right now IS the time to get them at auction.Washington told EVERYONE from nasty guard to army to navy to Airforce to dump them ALL!No more Deuces.They are obsolete.There are TONS of Cherry trucks comming up.But as for the wheel cylinder...Not a problem.10 bucks for a rebuild kit or 30 bucks for a brand new wheel cylinder.Find out what is leaking.You have a single circuit brake system there.one leak anywhere will drain ALL the fluid and then you have a 7 ton missile.Also,inspect the brake lines and hoses cause one blows you have ZERO brakes all around.

Step by step on replacement.....

Drive inside tire onto a board.Remove lug nuts.Pull outter wheel.Jack up the truck,Remove inner lug nuts,Pull wheel.Go to hospital for Hernia.Pull axle shaft.Knock tabs back on lock washer.Spin outter nut off.Pull washer.Spin inner nut off.Pull drum slightly out about 1/2".Push back.Pull the now accessable bearing and seal off.Pull drum off.Go back to hospital for another hernia.Now pull the inner bearing and pry inner seal off spindle.Throw both seals away.Remove the spring on top holding brake shoes.Remove Banjo bolt and 2 nuts on back side of backing plate.Pull the wheel Cylinder off.Place new one in old location.Reverse.Bleed the brakes(You will LOVE that part!Search Power Bleeder on SS.Garden sprayer and some pipe fittings.).All 6 corners.Use ONLY dot 5 not Dot 5.1 or 3.Silicone only unless you flush the system 100% then you can go with dot 3.

Also,You will like the bypass thing.NOTHING to buy.You just move fittings around.

Oh,make sure you use GL-1 90Wt gear oil or MT-1 spec(yellow metal safe) cause the chunks have brass parts in them and standard gear oil will eat yellow metal.Same with all the gear boxes.

Now for the mandatory IDI content......I would love to build a 7.3/6.9L bob deuce one day.IDI and 5 speed deuce and a half.Imagine the room you would have under the hood for goodies.

Freight_Train

Reaction score
oh,the title thing ain't no problem anymore.Other than the LOOOOOOOOONG wait with GL.Basically,you get a truck,fill out some paperwork for a EUC,Uncle sugar does a background check,they finally award you the truck,you get it home,fill out another form with VIN,Weight,Axles,Fuel,Year,blaa blaa and send it in.30-120 days(they say 30-45days but it took me 120 days) you get a brandy new Florida title in GLs name signed over to you......and they charge you $60 for this service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7