The Ultimate IDI?

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually not sure that it is a IDI but it is ultimate :hail

Many months ago Freight_Train posted this , It got me interested so I started looking off and on. I found one local for the right price so I pulled the trigger. Now I really need my WMO setup!!!! I dont know crap about anything about this rig, anybody here familiar with these beasts? Can I run WMO? I am assuming I can since its Multi-Fuel.

Specs: 1971 AM General M35A2, 468 cu Hercules 6 cyl Multi-Fuel, 3 rockwells and alot of torque!!! Future mods.... bows and cargo cover, winch, maybe one day a 6bt, who knows?

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
instead of a 6bt you should just go all out with a 3406B cat 425hp and a 18spd trans that would be FN sweet
with the B modle being mechanically injected you can still run WMO
anyway that is on cool rig id love to have one

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
sweet, we havy a Navy place right by use and i am sometimes tempted. i just tell my wife whenever i get a bug and she squashes it for me and rants about the 4 trucks already in the yard:rolleyes: :D i would actaully really have no use besides the occasional tree stump and uber coolness.

cant say for sure but i dotn think all of them are truly multi-fuel.

there are others out there
http://bmja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27729&page=3

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres some more pictures, I found the engine specs online, only 134hp!!! 330ftlbs tho, this thing is SLOW, I need to make it faster. It is a deuce and a half. Those air horns are loud!!! That big thing on the back of the injection pump has something to do with the multi fuel setup but I dont know how it works yet. I cant wait to get this thing off road.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
from what i heard they are hard to speed up since they had long narrow ports. great to torque, not so great for speed. they probably didn't want them easily hoped up in service

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a duece when I was in the Army.In desert storm my unit had one to do erands.It was a tank company and I was the driver on a M1A1.When we were not shooting T-72s I had a chance to take our duece on trips to get cigs. the trips were about 4 hrs long. that sucker did better than the hummers.I think the Army got rid of most of them because no one could drive sticks!!! What a sad day we live in. Have fun its a great truck, but you need to get s 50 cal. and a ring turrent,ours did

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Dont repower it with a cummins, stick a turbo 6.9/7.3 IDI in there, it would have more hp and torque than that (probably not at as low of rpms as it makes it power at though).

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I cant wait to get this thing off road.

UMMMM...you might wanna re-think that idea for a sec...... that thing weighs a couple more pounds than a beer laden F-350 so you might just wanna think about how you will get UNSTUCK :eek:

With no winch for self- recovery your rescue vehicle will either be yellow or green :D

;Sweet looking toy there for sure!

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Getting unstuck is easy.....just gotta know a few tricks.....Couple Logs(firewood length) and a couple peices of chain will get you outta most sticks...Oh,to turn the fuel up.That is SOOOOO easy...Get a pyrometer....Remove the turbo,Drill and tap the manifold for 2 probes(Manifold is divided into front and rear all the way from heads to turbo impeller.Yea,housing is divided too),Bypass the FDC(Hicky behind the IP you was talking about).Now drive....still will be multifuel just won't adjust fuel rate depending on fuel viscosity to keep HP at 134HP.You will gain a little.I will say 140-150HP Maybe.Now if you really really want more power...that little cap on the front of the FDC with the wire and led slug?That is the fuel adjustment screw.Has 2 nuts.I made shims that just slide behind mine cause if you allow the stud to turn you kill the FDC and you gotta do some expensive repairs.You can only turn the nuts.NEVER allow the threaded rod to spin....EVER.With a stock LDT-465 you won't get much over 160HP before thermo-nuclear melt down.Now if you replace the engine with a LDS-465 they put out just under 200HP stock but they have hotter injectors,different pistons,better internal cooling system,HO pump,etc.Oh,They are the 5 ton engine BTW

...Also,the stock deuce pump will put out enough fuel maxed out to actually bog the engine at low RPMs.

Also,there was quite a few deuces converted to 12Valve cummins.There was 4 made as testers for uncle sugar and a company in Georgia that did it for overseas customers.The M35A3 series ended up going to a 3116 Kitty Cat and allison auto.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online