The Best way to spend $1000?

H71993IDI

93 F-250 IDI Banks
Reaction score
I have about a $1000 to tune up the IDI currently I have the banks wastegated turbo system, running about 6lbs of boost unloaded, and seeing close to 900 on the egt's, I have a stock pump and injectors and truly 80K on the engine and truck itself, I have to use some of that money to fix a fuel leak that seems to be coming frome the injectors, but I realy think I want to do an intercooler system because hauling a trailer I have to watch my EGT quite a bit, I think I can rig up a custom intercooler for around $400 but really dont know where to go from there:dunno, Give me your list of where to start from there if you can and tell me more about propane injection?

Thanks for the help to all;Sweet

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
Intercooler sounds like a good place to start. My truck (in avatar) wieghs around 11,000lbs (maybe 13). So I'm hauling a lot of weight all the time even w/o a trailer. If you're towing often keeping your cool would be a great help. My next step would be working on intake/exhaust, but I'm non-turboed. Maybe update your stock fuel system? Just my 2 cents. Have fun! :peelout

Last edited:

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
intercooler, moosepump, new matched injectors, hydroboost, exhaust. you could spend easy over 1000 on all that just depends what your looking for.

H71993IDI

93 F-250 IDI Banks
Reaction score
My exhaust system is absolutley straigh piped the downpipe isnt pinched or anything like the normal stock down pipes are, I dont know who did it but it looks like a 3" downpipe to a 4" straight pipe, and I know I could esily spend over $1000 However, I'm wanting to know the next best steps to take, with the cash I have to spend then build on that the next time I have $1000 to spend, hopefully I will have a sytem that works together and is one synchronized smooth running machine.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
well do you want the extra stoping power of hydroboost before you add more HP/TQ? How are you injectors? I would atleast get them tested and matched since you only have 80k they probably still are original.

Whatever you do if your going for more power I would head stud it. I would defiantly think an intercooler is a good bet because then you can run more boost and fuel from your stock pump or if you still have enough money get a moose pump and see a serious advantage. I think a few people on here are using the 6.0 intercoolers and there are some write ups somewhere.

Im sure others will chime in when they get off work (I had today off :) )

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect especially with an IC the head studs won't be necessary. I think he'll not be able to see 10 psi boost loaded with a stock pump and an IC. However I agree with you he should get his injectors pop tested and matched and then set the timing with tools. If this was a 6.9 studs would be higher on the priority list. Low miles+7.3 head bolts+ reducing the boost with an IC+ non extremem EGT= head gaskets survive a LONG time.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
Yes but if he wants to keep upgrading after he spends this money like he implied he could get a moose pump and adjust his wastegate and then he would really bennefit from being intercooled and the head studs. Like I said just throwing my idea out there.

H71993IDI

93 F-250 IDI Banks
Reaction score
You guys, I like the Idea of heads studs and at some point in time I would like to implement them My intentions really are to mess with it until my power hunger is satisfied, I just get a little confused on which projects go first , The intercooler is first on my priority list. Mostly because I need the room on EGT's in order to turn up my pump and adjust the wastegate. Someone said that it doesnt matter how much boost your getting if the air is too hot. I'm just wondering after the intercooler what would be the most bang for my Buck as for performance mods if I could eventually get 300-325Hp out of my truck I think I would be satisified.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you drive your truck everyday, then your power hunger will almost never be satisfied. I found that to make a vehicle seem powerful/fast again, you need to hop in a really crappy vehicle and do the same things you would do with your vehicle, and then when you get back in yours it will feel powerful again. When I used to have a 2000 Mustang GT 5 speed with quite a few mods as my daily driver it would start to feel slow to me and I could hear my wallet start to cry again, but all I had to do was drive the wifes Corolla for a day and then my car felt like a drag car again and I was very satisfied with how much power it had.

Really the modding never ends, once you are successful at one thing, you want to see how many other things you can improve on, until you have completely remanufactured the whole truck.

If you want a really cool way to spend $1,000, make a check out to Cash and slip it in the mail, PM me and I will give you my address :sly . But really I think the intercooler is a good place to start, if you already have EGT issues.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll vote for a Moose Pump and fresh injectors correctly timed. A new pump and injectors is the definitive "tune up", and often wakes up a truck who's performance has slacked off so slow you didn't notice. There is a definite "wow" factor with a refreshed fuel system. The intercooler will be cheap enough that you can throw that together with a little pocket change. Not only that, but your EGT's will go down a little and your boost will come up with good nozzles producing the correct spray pattern for the same amount of fuel.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New IP (Moose) and fresh injectors. Intercooler would be nice as well, but I'd ditch the wastegate by plugging the pressure hose and watch your Boost and EGT's.

Heath

H71993IDI

93 F-250 IDI Banks
Reaction score
I'm in Idaho so the Moose pump and Injectors would be sweet but thats a long way to shipp parts, how much for a moose pump with matching injectors, if you have cores for the pump and injectors?

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I think you need to pay Mel to fly out and install the Moose pump, and then time it so you get the full benefit. Treat him to a train ride, and the cost will be less.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh so AFTER the IC probably a moose pump and good injectors, yours or a fresh matched set of BBs. With only 80K true miles I question whether yours really need replacement yet. I'd have them pop tested. You'll have to talk to Mel directly about pricing but most BBs are new(outright no core) and the Moose Pump is a custom piece of machinery so it depends on what is wrong with the core you send him and what kind of DB2 core it is and with that what is required to bring it up to "Moose Pump" specs. The cheapest would be a brand new factory turbo pump based on Icanfixall's experience and the most expensive would probably be an early 6.9 vintage with a lot of abuse and or mileage.