The beast broke again the other day

02AutoWag

Reaction score
Heed TheWarden's advise. Please research www.tdiclub.com for TDI timing belt procedures. This is not a motor you want to perform a mark and pray timing belt change on. Specialty tools ( http://www.metalnerd.com/cat20.htm ) and the ***-COM hard/software are required to to the job properly. I too don't know too much past the 2003 motors.

Per the metalnerd link, the 2006 is a one-off motor in regards to timing belt changes.

Motor oil off the shelf: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=255171

Do not put a K&N in this TDI. Stock filters are more than capable of providing enough air.

Larger nozzles are available, but not worth the expense. Your best bang for buck is a $300 chip tune. You'll have to send your ECU or wait for a GTG.

There are many TDI specific online vendors. If interested, I can provide a list of trusted vendors.

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O I know the type that just stab the Cam gear/cog with a paint pen slap stuff back together and call it good i'm a buy the book OE type guy I work for a large engine manufacture as an engineer I cant stand it when people try to tell you important steps are no big deal or whatever. I have done some research and from what i can find on the web the only thing you can really do to the little car is the tune but im not complaining about power so to me i dont really see the point unless it would get me another 10mpg;Sweet As for the oil man what a pain in the a$$ trying to find the correct stuff VW type 505.01 had to go to the dealer no one else had it ;Really I had also thought aboput an intake system but after reading on the tdiclub fourm theres no point maybe freeing up the exhaust on this car is all i'll end up doing if even that runs great as is:thumbsup: Thanks for all the input from everyone so far I always appreciate another look at things;Sweet

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I love our lil VW (05) and the oil isn't that bad... I mean these things don't really leak any oil.

expensive? maybe. we bought ours, and had the balance shaft go chainless, did waterpump, timing belt, steel glowplugs, I had to bypass the EGR cooler as it was leaking coolant into the intake, etc etc.
But after all this, I feel it's still a rocksolid car, just took a lil bit of work to get it there.
I'd drive it anywhere right now. Just need a rocketchip :) and we're good.

drew

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno so i took the visor off today and was repairing the wholes in the cab well cleaning at the moment just using a rag and some acetone and then for no reason the passenger side wing window just exploded :***: g's what next this thing is determined to die i think:confused: just one more thing on the list i guess

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I don't know its defiantly a test of patience to say the least :mad:-cuss it gets to the point where all you can do is just laugh and move on:rotflmao

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I know my truck is testing my wifes patience, she had fork out $80 to help me get my batteries yesterday.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno so i took the visor off today and was repairing the wholes in the cab well cleaning at the moment just using a rag and some acetone and then for no reason the passenger side wing window just exploded :***:
Darn, that's definitely up there on the *** factor... :eek:

Metalmacguyver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
perhaps the acetone which can evaporate quickly made part of the window get cold fast and the thermal shock is what caused the window to shatter?

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you know I would totaly by that theroy but i was on the other side of the truck when the window let loose:confused::dunno

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, no one was mowing I live on the end of the subdivision so id have too rule that out i'm just going say that someone shot it with a bb gun ;Really even thought theres no one near me cause theres no real reason why it happened :dunno So yea im going to stick with that cause otherwise it just kind of creeps me out or I really did screw over a witch doctor or a gypse or something and I dont need that don't want to have to hire an exorcist or better yet just wash the truck in holy water and run :bail before it bursts into flames releasing the demons -Flame Thr

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you like the truck, stick with it. Like a previous poster stated, once you get to the 90% point you'll be fine. I wouldn't hesitate to take my truck on any trip, even with the 5r in tow. I've had my truck 12 years, and replaced my carrier bearing about 4 years ago. It seems like I have to replaced the ujoints every 3 to 4 years though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726