The 2200 mile shakedown drive (long)

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
and i forgot to mention holy $!#& man that is one heck of a run. i have had stuff like that happen but not all that close. my wife would have been on the verge of a meltdown my fault or not. she dousent like that helpless feeling by the side of the road. me i know the sun will come up and help is really only a phone call away it just costs time and money.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
The FSV's fail under normal use with #2 on a regular basis. And that is a statement of fact.

I would disagree here. From what I've seen, a FSV will probably fail once in the life of the truck (unless there is a good reason why it failed, like not running #2 or bad wiring). Most of the trucks I've seen have 200-400k miles on them. So I wouldn't call that a regular basis.

As far as me proving wvo, wmo, biodiesel, doing odd things in the fuel system, I cannot prove scientifically in a manner that I could write a paper on. What I can do is try to give you some of the experience I learned in the 3-4 years I've run alternative fuels.
In the last 60k miles I've probably bought less than 100gallons of diesel.....
WMO and especially WVO have a viscosity that varies widely in the 70 or so degree swing we may see in the seasons here.

anyway, I'll let you figure it out. You're IDI memory banks will certainly remember this little trip you just took.... I hope your education doesn't involve your little kids or you getting hurt.

best of luck
Drew

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
DR,

I'm sorry that you're clearly upset by my reply to you. Inferring that I'm somehow putting my family in jeopardy is aggressive and uncalled for, I therefore doubt the motive that generated that response.

The FSV's fail under normal use with #2 on a regular basis. And that is a statement of fact.

I would disagree here. From what I've seen, a FSV will probably fail once in the life of the truck (unless there is a good reason why it failed, like not running #2 or bad wiring). Most of the trucks I've seen have 200-400k miles on them. So I wouldn't call that a regular basis.

As far as me proving wvo, wmo, biodiesel, doing odd things in the fuel system, I cannot prove scientifically in a manner that I could write a paper on. What I can do is try to give you some of the experience I learned in the 3-4 years I've run alternative fuels.
In the last 60k miles I've probably bought less than 100gallons of diesel.....
WMO and especially WVO have a viscosity that varies widely in the 70 or so degree swing we may see in the seasons here.

anyway, I'll let you figure it out. You're IDI memory banks will certainly remember this little trip you just took.... I hope your education doesn't involve your little kids or you getting hurt.

best of luck
Drew

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Good news!

The sender on the idiot gauge was bad. The gauge I just installed registers ~14psi at 100'F at 750rpm idle. ~40psi at 2500rpm, same temp.

Thank God.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it sounds to me like wmo caused the valve to get blocked on the feed side but not on the return side. basically the cheap plastic spools in those things can get stuck if they get debris or whatever in them. If you have someone flip the switch while you get under the truck you should be able to tell if this is the case, if you hear the click sound of one of the spools moving.
If you hear nothing at all then maybe the vavle is just bad - but it seems strange that it would just go out right on the first big trip with wmo. could be coincidence but more than likely the entire incident was brought about by the wmo. I suggest logging some local miles on wmo to make sure the whole system works well before trying another long trip.

Paul

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
In my estimation the failure occurred before the trip, and I was already stuck on my front tank when I took off. The reason for the return being on the wrong tank was that when I switched lines to the open valve I didn't switch the returns as well when I initially swapped tanks to the rear. This caused the return to stay on the front tank which eventually overflowed with the resulting WMO/diesel mix.

I'd logged 2,000 miles + on WMO locally and short hauls before the trip.

it sounds to me like wmo caused the valve to get blocked on the feed side but not on the return side. basically the cheap plastic spools in those things can get stuck if they get debris or whatever in them. If you have someone flip the switch while you get under the truck you should be able to tell if this is the case, if you hear the click sound of one of the spools moving.
If you hear nothing at all then maybe the vavle is just bad - but it seems strange that it would just go out right on the first big trip with wmo. could be coincidence but more than likely the entire incident was brought about by the wmo. I suggest logging some local miles on wmo to make sure the whole system works well before trying another long trip.

Paul

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Wow I think We must be related. Not easy with the family coming along but You take it very well.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i don't care if you filter to 1micron, wvo and wmo can do weird things inside a tank and in fuel valves,
Please remember refineries and oil companies spent millions of dollars finding the best additives to add to fuels.

i have to agree with this - part of the reason is because i have a similar amount of miles/years with wvo that drew does and have seen this happen. I used valves similar the tank switching valves for wvo and they get gummed up sometimes and stick. I think the key is to just admit that wmo caused all of the problems (aside from the locked steering wheel) on the trip and design the system to better deal with wmo for next time. I think greasecar.com now sells a 6-port valve that is of much higher quality than the plastic pollack valve that would work a lot better. Or you could use a pair of three way valves like the ones made by hydraforce. I have one on my truck and can provide the model number if interested. It has the viton seals as well.

paul

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, well if your 45 gallon tank is steel, it can react in an oddball way with WVO when heated, I don't know if this is also true with WMO but it could be. WMO and WVO also have a lot of bad things in them which makes them waste. If you want the best system I think it would be advisable to do as Drew says and add the manual 3 way valves or if the Greasecar valve is an upgrade...maybe that. The fuel tank selectors work pretty decent with diesel and/or biodiesel as long as the electronics don't screw up. I'm glad you guys made it safe and sound...I must say you have an understanding wife...she's a keeper for sure.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
how is your piping routed?
I'm sure many here would be happy to explain how they've kept the 6port in use and still run these fuels.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I must be one of the lucky ones as I've been running wvo and or wmo in my rigs for a few years now without any signs of stock fuel system failures other than water in the fuel, compliments of the local quickie mart.:dunno

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Well I have a junkyard pull valve thats operational that will go in the toolbox and a new OEM one on the way from directfordparts for $139.00 that will go in the truck. I will travel with the spare AND spare hose and barbs in the future.

I'm going to replace my mechanical fuel pump and my IP in the next few weeks as well - JUST IN CASE.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The tank selector valve I rather have a manual one but the one on My truck still works fine now You really need to consider an electric pump. If didn't use one yet You'll see it is a hole lot better than draining the batteries to get air out of the fuel lines.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
You really need to consider an electric pump. If didn't use one yet You'll see it is a hole lot better than draining the batteries to get air out of the fuel lines.

What needs to be done to do a modification like this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online