That time again...tie rod end/drag link replacement

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so, the post sums it up. I'm having a grinding sound only when steering and the box and steering shaft seem tight, and nothing seems to be rubbing, however the drag link and tie rod ends are worn so badly I can get under the truck and wiggle them with almost no effort...bad...really bad I'm guessing. Now I had a lot of help when I did these items before (5-6 years ago now) so I'm trying to remember what all is involved. The componenets look like they will simply unbolt and or unthread. It seems like I remember it not being that easy though and like you needed a pickle fork or pittman rm puller for something. Can you all refresh my memory? If it matters this truck is a 2wd with an IFS axle not sure if it's a Dana 50 or Dana 44 HD. Thanks in advance

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Yep you need a puller or pickle fork to remove the tapers on the joints. the nuts just keep them locked down. I'll be doing the same on mine, soon enough.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Sears made a nice pickle fork kit with an adapter to go onto a air chisel or to use with a hammer. Works good for me, been beating on it for 15 years. Take measurement on everything before removal. The grease fittings usually are a good reference as they do not get affected by the slop. I'm sure most will get an alignment afterwards but this gets it close.;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have a friend with a better tool collection and more experience maybe I'll hit him up or try to wait till my mechanic gets back in town. He's one of the few that lets you do your own work at times and pay him for whatever services he renders to you. I know he has a whole stack of those pickle forks. Anyway this is what I thought, but I couldn't remember.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
most auto part places loan or rent pickle forks. So when you buy the new parts you can pick the right size out. It's an easy repair, don't be afraid to use a big hammer!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it doesn't LOOK too bad, but then so many things on this truck are harder than they look. Thanks for the advice.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tie rod ends are easy. There is a flat spot on the spindle, where the tie rod end bolts on. Beat that flat spot about ten times really hard and the tie rod will literally fall out when you hit it downwards..

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
yea i have removed lots of tie rod ends and never used a pickle fork

just give the boss a good rap with a heavy hammer and it usialy pops out in the 1st hit

You must be registered for see images

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this a few months ago. I bought a pickle fork for under $10 at Harbor freight and the whole change over took about 20minutes in the driveway while it was raining. Just don't forget to torque the things down good to seat them.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i have removed lots of tie rod ends and never used a pickle fork

just give the boss a good rap with a heavy hammer and it usialy pops out in the 1st hit

You must be registered for see images

^^^ What HE said. ^^^

:backoff BIG HAMMER :backoff

ONE SOLID LICK

Done thus, you can even re-use them if ever necessary, such as robbing good ones off a parts-truck.

No so with a fork, as it destroys the grease seals.

You will do more harm than good with a "pickle fork". :)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you will remove the entire tie-rod system as a unit and carefully assemble the new pieces to the exact same lengths as the old, you will retain your toe-in settings without the need to have a shop set them. ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever I've done tie rod ends, I just count the number of turns to unscrew them, and screw the new ones in the exact same amount. It's always worked for me, but then I've always bought Motorcraft ones, and not brand X.