Testing the Waters

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
This is potentially the wrong forum to be on, unless I get to the thing I was going to say about my PU. Funny how comfort zones develope, going down to the general large truck forum is sort of like going into the basement when your a kid. :shoot: :cry: :sucks
However, after about a month of working OT, getting the product out there, I had occasion to be driving a unit cross country a bit today (yes, its Saturday-Playme ), needed to tare the weight on another scale, the rig being a triple, triple concrete pumper. Yes Fred, its a Mack:moon: 460 with an 18 speed, both Mack as well.
I was actually doing a bit of driver training too for one of our mechanics, came to a gentle hill (which was quite steep for a heavy unit like this one) and split from high to low - all the while describing what was happening to the other guy.
Funny thing though, I couldn't have been more surprised than if I woke up nailed to the carpet; although it seemed like an ultra clean shift, in fact I had just missed it, and with the engine purring at 2100, the momentum of the rig decayed slow enough that it took me by surprise. Chatting away, but heck she seems to be pulling really well up there at 2100 no problem.:oops:
No problem, had a couple of trucks behind me probably thinking bad thoughts, but grabbed a lower one and made it over the pass. Actually it was just a hill.|sleepy :sucks
Yes, well I guess I'm stiring up the pot some, maybe more posts are coming?
I am debating in a low budget fashion the merrits of servicing my injectors (on the 1990 IDI), still original but never seen a drop of water. I'm pretty sure the cracking pressures are down evenly on them all, on the other hand it runs very well. The pump was done only once at about 100KM, but again very careful maintainence. There's my thoughts, what say you all?
Meanwhile, back to matter at hand:drunk:
Lorne

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
There's a saying over in the valley here, "Living in Surrey means never having to say your sorry".

Well, I don't live in Surrey :)sorry: for those of you who do) so I won't do it again. :hail (for those who are interested, a triple triple is 3 steer axles, 3 drive axles - a really big, bad boy)

Well Fred, as you know although I believe 100% in Stanadyne Philosophy, I use another product, often. This is sort of different though as I don't feel like servicing the whole fuel system at this point (I'm from the erra of service work where you replace parts to the point the entire machine will make it dependably to the next major interval - came right out of the index in the Detroit 2 stroke manuals some years back and I adopted the advice) The engine has never run better, but I'm sure cracking pressures will be down, hence spray patterns a bit more ragged, timing slightly off, startability not quite as good. I suppose slightly higher back pressure on the pump could bring on potential issues with it.
Just wondering if anyone else had an experience of new injectors leading to a pump problem fairly soon?
Lorne

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Lorne, You know that you can get 8 nozzles and a pump from DIS
8 NEW [email protected] ea= $252.16
rebuilt {exch}injectin pump $397.00
_________
$649.16

DIS linky

Or mebee just go with the new nozzles....the pump shouldn't have a coronary pushing new nozzles;)

Don't tell nobody BUT I miss my IDI when it comes to injection LOL

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
Those are US$ right? Means a lot to us poor Canadians.
I'm not going to agonize over the decision, I'll probably slip them up the street to BD power, headquarter is just a mile away.
Another post is chatting about kids, funny thing I wouldn't have hesitated before family in doing the full deal, now adays it all needs to fit into the big picture. One thing I will say, this truck has been one of the best ever for low cost to operate.
Lorne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle