Terrible first f(r)oad trip

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Whats the level of fuel in your tank?, If the "showerhead" pickup is broken off you won't draw fuel at 1/4 tank or less, might be as easy as adding diesel??? Just thinking outloud...

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are both completely full. So im thinking its them or the fuel tank selector.

Any signs of fuel leaking around the fuel lines under the cab and box ? Air has to be getting in somewhere and to do that there must be a leak. Have you checked the fuel return lines on the injectors ? If that water seperator (assuming you have one) is not sealing properly, air will get drawn in there when the engine is running - the fuel is pulled throough the seperator before it gets to the lift pump and then to the injector pump.

Anyways, have a good look around for any signs of fuel leakage along the chassis and around the engine. Installing an electric pump will soon find the leak for you - if there is one.

Good luck - if it is this annoying and hard to locate, bets are it is something really simple that has been over looked.

mariner

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
no signs of fuel leaking at all. I just did the return lines last week when i did injectors. Im looking into the fuel filter now hopefuly it will show me i missed something simple like you said. And yes as soon as i get it back to loveland i will be talking to genlightning for one of his pumps.

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no signs of fuel leaking at all. I just did the return lines last week when i did injectors. Im looking into the fuel filter now hopefuly it will show me i missed something simple like you said. And yes as soon as i get it back to loveland i will be talking to genlightning for one of his pumps.

Maybe install a new piece of fuel hose from the tank and run it directly to the mechanical lift pump. If the pump moves fuel with the new line then the old line must be the culprit - including the filter and housing. I don't imagine it will be very expensive for 15ft 3/8" diesel fuel hose - worth a try ! ???

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe install a new piece of fuel hose from the tank and run it directly to the mechanical lift pump. If the pump moves fuel with the new line then the old line must be the culprit - including the filter and housing. I don't imagine it will be very expensive for 15ft 3/8" diesel fuel hose - worth a try ! ???

another idea would be just get a 5 gallon jug and make some short hose to the fuel pump. Just to see if it'll run off that, if it does then you know the tanks/pickup/original lines are gunked up.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another simple thing is to change the fuel filter. their was a person a while ago who had a problem with his truck I suggested changing the fuel filter others suggested more severe stuff. He changed the fuel filter and that was the problem. A little over 20 bucks for that maybe 30.

If you are going to run any rubber fuel line make sure you get fuel line that is rated for diesel. Gasoline fuel line will not work.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any updates? A BOOB man in CO named BJ Hood may be able to help you out. He may not. Don't know, but shoot him a PM, his handle here is "hoodshauler" and he's in Parker, CO just south of Denver.

Heath

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
Heath i got it back to loveland i just havent had a chance to work on it yet. I will be trying to figure it out tommorrow. Im just going to change the fuel filter and and the fuel pump and see what happens.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin