Temp gauge flips out?

thegoal

Reaction score
I have a 1994 ford f250 diesel 7.3 non turbo
I've been driving offroad and the temp gauge stays really cold however yesterday everytime I parked at an uphill angle the engine temp gauge shot thru the roof even though the car wasn't over heating... Any ideas?

058hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bare spot in the temp sending unit wire is shorting to ground.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I agree with the above posting. Heres why.. The dash temp gauge is driven by two differant senders. Mainly its driven by the small sender located just to the drivers side of the injection pump. Then when the coolant temp reaches 242 degrees the large sender found in the front of the drivers head closes and the dash gauge will peg over to way past hot. To test this just remove that wire and ground the wire. The dash gauge will peg no matter hot engine or ice cold engine. You can try removing the wire to that large sender and isee if the problem continues.. If it does not then your large sender is going bad..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If any sender is bad its the big one in the head. But before you throw another one in please test it first. If after you remove the wire from the big sender in the head you still have issues start checking the wire harness for bare spots.

thegoal

Reaction score
Any chance you have a picture of the sender unit?
Also, it only happened when I was offroad so I can't test it where I'm at bec it wasn't happening on regular asphalt

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any chance you have a picture of the sender unit?
Also, it only happened when I was offroad so I can't test it where I'm at bec it wasn't happening on regular asphalt

Hope this helps you out...

First image just above PS cap I'm pointing at OVER TEMP sender
You must be registered for see images attach

Second image is both sending units in one shot to show where they are in relation to one another, again doing my best to point at them...
You must be registered for see images attach

Any more questions?

Al

thegoal

Reaction score
Do the one in the first image is most likely the problem ?
And simply by taking off the wire and grounding it will show if it is the issue?