TC or Transmission?

Ziggyman

Reaction score
So I was driving down the street just now and my truck just started to rev as I was trying to accelerate. So I pulled over and started checking things, the fluid is full, a slightly dark tint to the fluid but it doesn't smell burnt, everything under the truck looks good. If I shut the truck off and let it set for a couple minutes it will move down the street a little bit but then stop again. It has been driving strong before this with no real issues so this is really out of the blue. Does anyone have any ideas on what to check to determine what the likely culprit is? I don't have a bunch of money to throw at it and it's my daily driver until summer. And BTW it's an e4od in my Sig truck, was told it was replaced about 45k ago before I bought the truck. The truck currently has what I've been told 178k.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
If it moves its not the converter.

If this happens while in (D) check the transmission range sensor. (MLPS)

If this happens in all gears something mechanical is going wrong.

Most important check for codes. This will help find the issue.

Ziggyman

Reaction score
We have parts stores yes, but they only have OBDII scanners. What kind of tool will I need for my old truck?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OBD1
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...ner/_/N-25iqZ1z141sn?itemIdentifier=2396_0_0_

generally,as speeder suggested when the trans neutrals out like that going down the road,it's the MLPS.very common.she wont necessarily toss the code for it either.
it can do it while in any gear,however to help clarify,speeder means while you physically shift the lever to either 2 or 1.she should hold her gear and not neutral out of those with them manually selected but with a failed MLPS while in the D position (in any gear) she could just go blank,which would then most likely be a failed MLPS.
it could just be a dirty MLPS plug too.after removing my trans to install an upgraded converter i got my plug dirty and replaced the mlps again after just replacing it with the newer style plug for preventive maintenance earlier lol.i sprayed the **** out of that connector with electrical cleaner finally after 7-8 events of that,and got her cleaned up perfect.hasn't done it since.

Last edited:

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put a pressure gauge on the trans ,this will give you a good idea of whats the problem is ,and if you need to pull it and replace seals,ect,or just a valve in the valve body sticking or stuck ,if the fliud is black looking ,you can bet the valves are sticky,or stuck ,by the way pressure should be min idle 90-100 and rev ,d =200 +-psi

Ziggyman

Reaction score
Got a new MLPS because it was an original looking one covered in gunk on it now. Does anyone have any tips for removing the pins or getting more slack in the harness?

Two problems with testing the pressure, I'm not sure of anyone off hand that has a tester for that, and second I cant get that plug out of my trans. I tried when I was installing my trans temp gauge, but it was already rounded some and stuck in the case.

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that new mlps is not going to solve the problem in my opinion ,remove the plug ,get the temp gauge installed ,and or pressure gauge ,any 0-250 psi gauge can be used pressure gauge can be used ,or bought 12 bucks ,exchange the mlps for a oil pressure gauge

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok you may want to consider having a pro mechanic remove it should take a 1/2 or less ,easly removed 3 ways by#1= tack weld a 1/4 nut on it ,#2=cut a slot remove with 3/8 drive slotted driver bit...#3=drill it out ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i would drop the pan check the filter ,does the truck go in reverse ????

Ziggyman

Reaction score
We have done everything possible while the trans is in the truck, no it only moves a little bit after you first start it up. After that it doesn't move in either direction

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well based on that fact the trans most likely has very little fluid pressure ,,one thing you could do is remove front grill ,,remove the trans coolerfeed line from the cooler (the one connecting to the front of the trans ) and clamp a gauge on that line to confirm the line pressure from the pump

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
well based on that fact the trans most likely has very little fluid pressure ,,one thing you could do is remove front grill ,,remove the trans coolerfeed line from the cooler (the one connecting to the front of the trans ) and clamp a gauge on that line to confirm the line pressure from the pump

This will confirm pump flow. There is minimal pressure on the cooler lines. The easy way to do a flow test is remove the return from the tranny. Toss it in a bucket and time it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance