Talk me Down!

OnDaRoad

On the road ....
Reaction score
Exactly what mine did before failing ....

Thanks guys, I checked the oil while I was there. It did not smell like fuel, but was low.

Exactly what mine did 50 miles before the diaphragm ruptured
and pumped diesel into my crankcase - diluting my oil - taking
out what probably is a rod bearing ..... :dunno

DO NOT RUN the engine until you replace the mechanical pump
or install a Carter electric pump sold here by a member ....

You run the risk of ruining your engine if you do ...

If you replace the mechanical pump, DO NOT buy an Airtex one

Jim

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Oh blasphemy! A Chevy in an *****! Just kiddin. I love the old birds. Ive got a 67 firbird convertible. It has a 400 Pontiac with a th400. Its sitting in my yard in need of a restore. When I become wealthy....

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
I know the feeling! I threw in the Chevy when I was sure I was going to grow up and race! I would like to put a Poncho back in, but I have put off the body work for too long!

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Okay, so I replaced the lift pump yesterday. I started it up and my head sank when it did the same thing. It was acting the same way on both tanks. I disconnected the fuel line after the switching valve. I blew through it. I started the truck and the thing ran great! It ran with no problems coming home! Lo and behold, I drove it quite a bit and it started acting up again. My guess is I am sucking up something up in the lines.

My next question is what are you guys using as strainers over the pick ups in the tanks?

Thanks, this is giving me fits!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I replaced the lift pump yesterday. I started it up and my head sank when it did the same thing. It was acting the same way on both tanks. I disconnected the fuel line after the switching valve. I blew through it. I started the truck and the thing ran great! It ran with no problems coming home! Lo and behold, I drove it quite a bit and it started acting up again. My guess is I am sucking up something up in the lines.

My next question is what are you guys using as strainers over the pick ups in the tanks?

Thanks, this is giving me fits!
drop the fuel filter and see if there is crud inside it.
also, I got rid of the showerhead on the front tank and run just a piece of hose as a pickup

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Thanks, I already did the pick ups, and used a brass 90 at the end of each. I was thinking I might have gotten a piece of crap stuck in one of them. I will check the filters, I have a 30 micron in the racor along with my regular one. The Racor bowl is full, so I am tending to believe it is either the switching valve or something in the line. Am I on the righht track?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I already did the pick ups, and used a brass 90 at the end of each. I was thinking I might have gotten a piece of crap stuck in one of them. I will check the filters, I have a 30 micron in the racor along with my regular one. The Racor bowl is full, so I am tending to believe it is either the switching valve or something in the line. Am I on the righht track?
it's very possible at this point.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
I changed the fuel filter today, and it is doing the same thing. I am stumped now because the truck runs good at higher rpm, but is losing power and tapering off at part throttle. I throw in the clutch and compression start it again. It lets loose a big puff of blue and white smoke. I am going to fill the filter with ATF or diesel treatment and let it sit in the ip - hoping something is just gummed up! After that, my next guess is a bad ip.....

Thanks for the help, is there anything else I can look at?

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Oh, we went to drop the fuel filter and it was half full. I have no leaks and no air bubbles through the water separator leaving the only other leak point at the line from the separator to the lift pump. Any other spots I should check?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is going to sound a little paranoid but I think you may have been treated to a load of moth balls in the fuel tank. run out the front tank, pull the sender assy and take a peek inside the tank. if you want a second dumb look, I'll be at the shop all day tomorrow. call me before coming down.

poppop

Reaction score
Oh, we went to drop the fuel filter and it was half full. I have no leaks and no air bubbles through the water separator leaving the only other leak point at the line from the separator to the lift pump. Any other spots I should check?

I had an 86 that would stall and the filter would be half full.It turned out the o rings on the fuel line where it meets the the sender were bad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726