Tailgate Lettering Color Poll, '80-86

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
funny thing about ford is almost anything can be customized by the dealer if you find one willing to
ex my dad had a 98 f 150 cc loaded kr with a towing tranny and mustang motor and lots of lightning parts
told the dealer he wanted it they built it with somethign off the lot

but the lightning came out in 93-95, then it came back in 99, so what time of 1998 did he buy his truck? also the mustang engine and the f150 engine isnt much different, but the intake is, so there would have been some real "work" done to make it work. would like to see pics, to see if it did happen.

gandalf

Reaction score
I'm beginning to think there is no consistency to this. Yesterday I saw a white '85, very much like mine, XL, with a blue interior... red letters. Apparently original. I ahve also seen a white truck with a blue interior with blue letters. They're coming to take me away, haha....

Keep n mind, Jim, that tailgates are so easily interchangeable. People can have one tailgate off and another on in just five minutes. Also, the range of years from which tailgates will fit, you have absolutely no way of knowing whether the tailgate you're looking at is original. :dunno

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
funny thing about ford is almost anything can be customized by the dealer if you find one willing to
ex my dad had a 98 f 150 cc loaded kr with a towing tranny and mustang motor and lots of lightning parts
told the dealer he wanted it they built it with somethign off the lot

98 crew cab F150 King ranch? lmao

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
On a side note, this is for the 87-91s but my 88 is dark blue, blue interior with white letters. Also saw another 87-91 in town (all original) that was red/white, red interior with red letters. Not many 80-86s around here that dont have mismatched tailgates or none at all. I do remember seeing a black 80-86 with red interior and red letters.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
just found this on CL. looks main color brown, letters tan. btw, 75 bucks for it. lol

You must be registered for see images

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moose Truck is exterior paint code 3L and letters are white. The Gray truck on premise with what I believe is factory paint and tailgate is white letters.