T19 to Transfer Adapter broken

TomA

Reaction score
The aluminum adapter between the T19 and the transfer case was cracked and leaking 90w. I replaced it with one from a wrecking yard. After very little time, less than 500 miles, it is broken again. I can't find another one so I am going to have the old one welded. The junk yard guy said to check the motor mounts which makes sense but they seem to be fine. At the same time the universal at the rear of the t-case was bad, I had to replace the yoke. There was some vibration. Could this have caused the adapter to break? Has anyone heard of having this problem before? I hate to go through the work of changing it again and have it happen again.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
If your drive shaft is out of balance it could cause it. Heck, a broken shackle could cause some awkward force to be applied there.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Do you happen to have a brownie box or somthing similar hanging off the back of the trans?

Do you do any truck pulls?

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Any particular reason why you are running gear oil in your trans? I too am curious about what case you're running...

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Check the motor mounts well, as well as the transmission mount. They can be broken internally and not look bad...ask me how I know!

TomA

Reaction score
The truck is not abused in any way, I try to baby it. When I first changed the adapter I pulled a stock trailer 200 mi with no problem, no leakage. Other than that it has been light ranch usage in 4WD and short hops to town. I wonder about the torsion involved in 4WD although the ground was wet.

I don't know the model of the T-case but it is the stock one that came with the '86, aluminum case, takes ATF and doesn't leak a drop. The old T 19 is kind of growley but seems fine when it is full of 90w, this is what leaks out of the adapter.

When I changed the adapter I found the front universal on the rear driveshaft had failed. When I went to put in a new one it would not fit, I had to do some grinding with a dremel to get the cups in. The bores were kind of egg shaped. The new universal failed and I have changed the yoke, that is when I discovered the adapter cracked again. The rear mount is under the adapter and is nice and tight. I need to get under there with a bar and check the motor mounts but I see no rocking of the engine.

Thanks for all the help guys. These forums are great. Most of the problems that occur with these trucks have happened to someone before. When I read of all the problems that others have had I feel lucky that I have had so little trouble with mine. Hopefully I can get this fixed right.

Tom

Al_E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id also check the drive lin slip joints for wear and freedom of movement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online