Synthetics worth it?

thunderwolf

Reaction score
I drive 175 miles round trip daily. Are synthetic oils worth the cost?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
yes. Even if you don't drive that many miles a day because you can run longer intervals with syn oils. I recommend using a bypass filter system along with the syn oils so that you get even longer drain intervals.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt run synthetic engine oils.....i would however switch the transfer case and trans oil to synthetic. the differentials are already synthetic. rotella 15-40 is the best oil for the engine.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Ok, I'm ignorant. Please tell me what a bypass filter is, where the kit is purchased and how it's installed. Thanks

A bypass filter is a filter with around 1 micron or less rating but because of the small rating it can't be installed where all the oil from the lube system goes through it constantly so it's installed so that it's a parallel to the oiling system. Meaning that you come off a pressurized oil gallery then return the oil to an unpressurized portion of the lube system (oil fill cap, valve cover or oil pan)

You can get bypass systems from many different places that either use spin on filter elements or canister type - typically the canister types use either paper towel or toliet paper (yes you read that correctly). I choose the spin on system from AMSOIL only because it relocated both filters (full flow and bypass filters) to the same location for easier maintenance for me. Plus I liked the idea of a spin on filter.

boatelectronicguy

Reaction score
Holtser, why no synthetics and what makes Rotella T better than say Delvac 1300 or Delo 400? As I stated above, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to diesel maintenance and I need to learn all I can. Synthetics served me very well in my gas engines and I wanted to go back that way with my CTD after full break in.

greengoat

Reaction score
i wouldnt run synthetic engine oils.....i would however switch the transfer case and trans oil to synthetic. the differentials are already synthetic. rotella 15-40 is the best oil for the engine.

FWIW that is one mans opinion.

Jim

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not really, thats what the engineers recommend and what the guys who build the engines recommend. but, run what you want. thats what forums are for ....opinions.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I run syn in all gear boxes and the engine. How I made my choice to switch everything over to syn is by taking samples on a regular basis with dino oil then changing over to syn oil. I did not change anything other than the oil type - useage stayed the same (interval) - same brand filter. Then had the same lab perform the test - when I took the first sample of the syn oil down I spoke with them about the change I was making and was looking forward to an improvement but they just flat bashed syn oils saying that they didn't do anything better than good ole shell rotella t - welll when I got my report back it was listed as having half the wear particles and they commented on that by saying they didn't know what I was doing different but to keep doing they went on to mention that it was not the syn oils that made that change. So I went ahead and kept using the syn oils and kept sampling/changing at the same rate I was with dino oils (shell) but still the samples showed less wear in the engine after a few of these under my belt I then was totally sold on the use of syn oils. I did this with my last truck and then again with my current ride (see sig) both trucks showed marked improvement along with our car (I had it tested as well).

Now what I recommend for everyone who makes the switch is to test it for your self like I did and if you don't see a marked improvement then don't spend the extra money for the oils or if you don't think/plan on owning the vehicle for a long period of time where you would not see any lower operating costs. If you're the type that likes to park a different rig in the driveway every 2 years then I wouldn't recommend it. Me I'm the type that keeps a vehicle for a few years so I see some gain in the maint costs area by using syn oils and using longer intervals between changes.

rgtrdt38

Reaction score
Has any one had leak issues with synthetics? I have been told that there is a problem with the teflon front and rear seals on a Cummins leaking if you use synthetics.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
When I switched to syn oils (on passed vehicles) I noticed the smell of hot oil but did not have acutal leaks that was until my current (Cummins) and it started leaking - but only when the outside temps were low - but this year I'm not seeing that - now I got to thinking the other day about what has changed - well the biggest thing is I have been running syn oils now for quite a while and I have been told that before I started using syns for the first time that seepage was normal when first out of the gate because the syn oils will have to swell the seals because the molecules were smaller and could sneak past the seals easier. Don't know if that is my case this time but it seems to be following suit... basically it's the only thing that makes logical sense.

cdennyb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no leaks on mine

I've been running Mobil 1 synthetic in the engine and Lucas oil stabilizer in the rear and engine both. I've got over 110,000 miles on it and over 90,000 were using synthetics. I've had NO leaks of any kind at any seal in anything, trans, rear, or engine. I have no smell of oil after an oil change like I used to get with Rotella T oil.

I also use Power Service fuel supplement in EVERY tank full and currently get about 24-26 MPG cruising at 60 mph or less with the cruise control and commute about 344 miles a day roundtrip empty. All this in a RAM 3500 2WD with the automatic and a banks 6-gun with speed loader diesel tuner set on the level number 4 most of the time.

I keep the tire pressure at 80 psi on all of them and I can't complain.

Make your own decision about the enigne oil, but my vote is for the synthetics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online