switching open to LS

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mlsc...in my 86 dually it has factory LSD w 360k on it...discovered it by making a wrong turn into some very soft sand....it was more than tight enough to keep it all moving...impressed was not the word, it was more like shocked; I thought for sure by the way I plowed in that a call to a wrecker would be on my list

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, that's good to know the factory LSD holds strong. Can someone confirm what was said about the friction modifier? I thought if you skip it the clutches fry in no time?

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
i finally got this project going to day, i opend up the spare rear i have and pulled the axle shafts and checked the back lash by setting the dial up on the ring gear and moving the ring gear till it contacts the pinion. i got .030 but spec says .008-.012 so either i messed something up or it was just way out. the gears all looked great though. i took the bearing caps off and cant get the carrier to pull out but didnt try to long it got dark.

i will be taking apart the axle its going in tomorrow.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I would like to do this on My 93 ford as well but I have no idea how to do it. When You guys get this done could You please take pics and explain how to do it? It is not that I'm cheap (that is true) and don't want to pay someone to do it but it is really that I don't trust My truck to anyone and I want to do this so I need to learn HOW.

Thank You.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If im home for the summer i am going to look into putting a locker in my rear diff. I had to unstuck myself in a snowed over parking lot this winter and was not happy about it. It was late, and i was leaving the bar and cold as balls. I also have about 400 lbs of sand bags in the back of the truck. But i got on some ice and it was over, ended up killin a sandbag to get me out.

never again...