switching open to LS

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
I have a 10.25 rear with 3.55s open carrier. and a 10.25 with 4.10s and limited slip. I was thinking of taking the limited slip out and switching it into my axle with 3.55s then taking my open carrier welding the spider gears and putting in my axle with the 4.10s

i havnt done a swap like this, i would imagine the carriers should change out fine. will the gears need to be re shimmed?

I know someone that can set up the gears and everything for me if need be. what all is involved in taking the carrier out?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are thick shims out board of the bearings, just make sure the backlash is the same as when you started. chances are it will be real close.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know, as I'm contemplating an LSD install as well, also keeping the gears currently in the axle. I was thinking of going with a Lincoln Locker, but and LSD would be a better choice for me. However, is there a way to tighten up the factory clutches setup? Like in the 8.8 for instance extra clutches and steels can be added, can the same approach be used for the 10.25?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a new pack will make it real tight. But I would call randys R&P and find out for sure.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I was wondering cause I got a dually, so I figured with two extra wheels on the axle there will be more load on the diff so stronger clutches will be needed...

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I put the stock LS unit in mine and while I've not dumped the clutch on pavement, it has no problem keeping the wheels all turning in the right direction! I was going to replace and add to the friction rings in mine, but they were very tight already. I can't believe the difference it makes on my truck.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent had to use 4x4 once since I installed the ls rearend in my truck. I went from getting stuck on wet grass as well as soft sand, to not having to engage my 4x4 for the last 4 months. Ive even backed into mud pits to pull people out and with a little clutch work was able to get them free.

Ill never go back to not having it, especially in a diesel.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you want the clutch pak to grab harder faster then dont add the ls additive. the additive makes it slippery and lets them slip a little. without the additive it will grap harder, and you can tell.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
the weather isnt going to let me start on this project this weekend, but how do you pull out the axle shafts?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 8 bolts on the rear hubs, remove them and the shaft just slide out (may need some persuasion). No need to remove wheels or brakes either, or even jack the axle up in the air - piece of cake job really.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
cool alot easier then i was thinking.

i have a dial to set up on the gears but does anyone have a spec sheet on what the backlash should be?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey before you dig into this project, ensure that your 3:55's and 4:10's will actually swap straight across to the other carrier. Sometimes, you need a new carrier with a different offset due to gear thickness and pinion diam.

For instance for me with my Dana 70 4:56 is a break over point so 4:10 and 3:73 for eg would swap straight across.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
thanks for the heads up riotwarrior, from all the info i have came across for these 10.25s is that the 3.55 and 4.10 will interchange.