swapped from Bosch to Beru glow plugs, wont start now

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Yes but usually after it sits overnight. An hour or two sitting shouldnt make a difference

dont use pvc. Just PM Typ4 and get a kit. its around 30 bucks and will include hose, injector caps, o-rings and clamps.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds spot on... guess I'll snag some return line :mad:

found a place that can hone the block if we dont got the right tool, found some 4" rings too... then get head work done and cam 'er and she should be doing good. and studs. if I can afford them :eek:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was return line / air intrusion. i went to knechts and got some 3/16" tubing and used some 1/4" worm drive clamps and replaces the worst return line, need more clamps and I will do the one that is leaky too but it starts like before the glow plug swap - nice and fast now!!!

thanks again OB

Drzronnie

Reaction score
Did you make sure it was fuel hose? I have had several people bring their Mercedes into my shop because they replace the returns with any old hose and then they blow out.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these glow plugs seem to be doing great, so I take it back. just frustration when I try to upgrade a part and it works worse after - although in this case it was because the return lines finally gave away. the metal clips, one of them broke when i went to loosen it. Brittle junk.. I knew they were leaking some but not enough to make it real hard to start, until the glow plug controller bumped it. I wanted to swap because i saw online someone tested bosch plugs and had one deform on the head whereas these beru's lasted several minutes before they got bored and quit testing. Plus I've had a set of bosch spontaneously die - which could have been because somebody else pushed the manual button probably too long... still. not fun to do glow plugs in oregon rain :eek:

The hose wasn't fuel line they didn't have 3/16" fuel line. but it is double layered so it should last me long enough to get the right kind somewhere else. labor day put a nick in what I can or cant do.

How hard is it to upgrade to the 7.3 turbo return line that uses 1/4" hose instead of 3/16". I know all the olives will fit and all, but that the metal line is in the wrong spot that goes to the IP where the two return. Where can I get one - someone here with a parts 7.3 motor or online?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online