Surging Idle

motoshop

Reaction score
My idle surges really hard in the morning while warming up and now slightly after it warms up. At first it was only during warm up in the morning, but now its all the time. In the morning its 300-400rpm and once it warms up it'll surge 100-200rpm. I changed out the fuel filter and same problem. Seems to run ok while driving, but it *might* have a little less power. The PO I believe replaced the IP already, but the injectors and lift pump are definitely original. Truck has 165k on it...

motoshop

Reaction score
May be lift pump or leaky injectors. They definately have enough miles on them. What part of NV are you in?

I was kinda suspecting both actually. When I first bought the truck, I replaced the return line kit and injector washers. I didn't know very much about these motors when I did the return lines, but I think I recall the injectors being wet when I had them out. There was also a good amount of something that resembled rust on the body of one injector. Not sure what this was, but it didnt look good.

Also, I recently acquired a ticking noise from somewhere on the engine, but I havent located it yet. Sounds external and I was thinking it may be the lift pump since it seemed to be coming from that direction. Can injectors tick?

I'm in Las Vegas for the next 6 weeks, then we're moving to NW Montana.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online