Superchared diesel inside here...

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on what rjjp said.

Also SWS, what exactly are you going to do with the tensioners now? Are you just going to replace them with adjustable tensioners? And how niosy is too noisy for you? Cus there might be a bit of whine especially since you are overdriving the charger a bit more than you would on a gasser to get boost right of idle and to get the proper amount of boost up top.

And wmoguy, can you explain what you meant when you said alternative recipes?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
It depends on what I can see in the daylight. I am doing other stuff to it right now too, as well as having my schedule adjusted at work. So, instead of going in for 3p-1a (which gives me optimum time to work on it prior to work), I have to go in at 11-9 this week to train the other troops. So, when I get to see under the hood this week, it is late at night with only a flash light. I have another tensioner here off of some other ford pick-up. If it is clocked differently, I will not need to move the idlers and will be able to just put it on in the factory location, and have the proper tension. I will probably go and get a set of the manual ones and install one of them on the plate I made. It will give me the ability to change pullies all the way from factory, down to 1.9" in size and keep about the same tension. Not a problem, just a setback.

SWS

wmoguy

Reaction score
X2 on what rjjp said.

Also SWS, what exactly are you going to do with the tensioners now? Are you just going to replace them with adjustable tensioners? And how niosy is too noisy for you? Cus there might be a bit of whine especially since you are overdriving the charger a bit more than you would on a gasser to get boost right of idle and to get the proper amount of boost up top.

And wmoguy, can you explain what you meant when you said alternative recipes?

I'll surely have a writeup on it soon, hopefully by the first of the year.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on what I can see in the daylight. I am doing other stuff to it right now too, as well as having my schedule adjusted at work. So, instead of going in for 3p-1a (which gives me optimum time to work on it prior to work), I have to go in at 11-9 this week to train the other troops. So, when I get to see under the hood this week, it is late at night with only a flash light. I have another tensioner here off of some other ford pick-up. If it is clocked differently, I will not need to move the idlers and will be able to just put it on in the factory location, and have the proper tension. I will probably go and get a set of the manual ones and install one of them on the plate I made. It will give me the ability to change pullies all the way from factory, down to 1.9" in size and keep about the same tension. Not a problem, just a setback.

SWS

Glad its a simple fix. I look forward to the updates.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I think what he is trying to say is like the 093 on my truck it will do the job for low boost levels but trying to get any real boost (read trying to blow the head gaskets) they won't do it efficiently...
From the "maps" I've found a M90 should be good for about 10-11 lbs on a 6.9, but that's pushing it to it's limit and right around 180 degree differential temperature.

Now that I get I guess I misunderstood him and thought he meant that it was to small to make normal amounts of boost

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I probably misunderstood too. I thought he was talking about it not really working at all.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Huh...I could swear there were some questions on this page. None the less, here are the updates.

You must be registered for see images attach
\
I had a few alt pullies lying around. The ones for the 4.6 are the smallest ones I had. So, I went to the boneyard today and picked up one off of a toyota, and one off of a 2.3 mustang.

The shaft diameter is different on this pulley than on the SC. The difference is about .02" and that is huge when you are talking about this. I was going to try to shim it, but then I thought "...Why...I can run a smaller pulley and be good. I just need to find a sleeve that will work and weld the pulley to it." This one will probably not be used.

But this little guy...HE will get used if I can find the correct size sleeve.

Errr...different view and bad pic.

From top to bottom. Mustang pulley, Toyota pulley, 4.6 pulley. The reason the toy pulley is here is because I thought it was about the same diameter as the blower shaft. Nope...its about .02 TOO SMALL. Not to mention its only a 5 rib pulley.

Oh well, the sauga continues. I also picked up a pair of tensioners. I got one off of some sort of Chrysler. It looks like it will require the least amount of work to get it to do the job I want done. I did get another one of the early vic styles in case I wanted to use it (and was going to until I saw this gem). I will post pix when it gets added.

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you found one that was too small of a shaft diameter that would work, you could always drill out the center. Idk but that's just a thought.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
drills are not accurate enough unless you are talking about using one on a mill with variable speeds and a way to perfectly center the hole and make sure its square.. .02 is only about seven pieces of paper thick.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Redneck is correct. Drills do not drill perfect centered holes. Now a reamer, that would do the trick. BUT, remember, it is only a 5 rib belt too. So, that is another minus for the setup. I think the mustang pulley with a sleeve and a large washer to make it square will be what it requires. Once I have time to find that sort of thing.

So, today I took it to the old mans house. Last week, we pulled out a ton of vines that were climbing in his trees to "clean up" the driveway area. Today he asked if I could pull out one of his bushes. No problem right? I hook up to it and pull to the end of the chain and start to spin the tires. Okay, I will get a little run at it. So I do and in low range in 1st gear, I hear a "pop" and my dad says "oh no". I asked what broke, and he said "Your bumper". I got out to access the damage and expected to see the ball mount broken off of the bumper. NOPE...The ENTIRE bumper broke off of the mount.

Now, before you go saying "Yadda yadda yadda there was obviously too much there for it to pull..." and start calling me names, The rust had gotten so bad on the mount that it had turned part of the mount into layers of flakes and broken it away on one side. As in, if you looked at it, you would not see anything more than what looked like a tack weld broken. About 3 of those were all that was holding the driver's side together. Then, when it twisted, it broke the pass side off. More metal there, but still weaksauce welds.

So, I stated laughing and just wished it was a month or two later so I could start building my tube bumpers, threw it back on the hitch along with the chain, and pulled out the bush. When I got back to the house, I threw it in the back of the Bronco and started to close the gate. My hand slipped and the buper fell tapping the rear window and it E X P L O D E D in the gate.

I can deal with the bumper, that is no big deal. The window on the other hand, I have to find one and go from there. The FINDING of it will be the hard part, and I hope I can find one locally within the next 48 hours or so since they are talking snow by mid week.

Back to the supercharger install. I think I have a leak somewhere now since I never see measurable boost. When I start it, the gauge goes to the positive side of the "0" area, but never climbs. Because of the laws of fluid dynamics, as the speed increases, I shoud have more boost at more RPMs and it should not stay stagnant (so pop says). I got to thinking this is probably true, otherwise, how do you build positive boost if there is no climb. And since my crank is about 7" and the pulley is just under 3'' there should be something moving when I crack the throttle.

I also picked up a second intake and was going to save the surprise, but saw on PSN that I got trumped by Drumminracing. He did almost exactly what I was thinking about doing. Mine is probably going to be more of a powerstroke style hook up though since I already have the adapter.

SWS

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Make up something on a lathe. Weld it to the pulley by the tig method of welding. Then chuck it up in a lathe. Center it and mill out the inside with a boreing bar tool..... Way to simple a job too...

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just thought about it, my brother just bought a lathe. Maybe I can have him make up a pulley for you?