Superchared diesel inside here...

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The M90 will do fine on an idi. You have to remember that we don't rev as high so its not all that small on a lower revving diesel. Also SWS did you get that gauge hooked up? If so what are you hitting for boost?

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The M90 will do fine on an idi. You have to remember that we don't rev as high so its not all that small on a lower revving diesel. Also SWS did you get that gauge hooked up? If so what are you hitting for boost?

I would agree if we were talking about a small 4cylinder diesel, but not a 7.3L! I won't run a single M90 on my 300 inline 6 gasser because it's too small!:D The 300 is like a gas powered diesel. I'm going to go with a single M112 on my 300. The M90 will never build much of any boost on a 7.3L. It just doesn't move enough air for an engine that size. You'll have to spin it way to fast to even keep up and then the Eaton gets really inefficient. So if you do build any boost it will be super heated.

Two M112's would give you the boost from the hit of the go pedal!:D Not to mention a lot more of it!;Sweet

I'm a huge Eaton supercharger fan!:hail I'm just trying to help.;Sweet

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Okay...for the fuel question, I do not need more fuel. This is turned by the engine not the exhaust heat.

Second, yes, I did get the gauge hooked up. It shows positive boost. Not enough to register, but positive none the less. In other words, I am at stoichometric with it.

Third, no the eaton is not too small. I do not know the CFMs of the 7.3, but the 6.9 (which I have) is only 20 more CFMs at max RPM than the 3.8. You could easily run enough boost on a 300 with the M90. If you are saying there is not enough blower to spin an engine that is only slightly more than 1 liter larger than the SC...Maybe if you wanted to make 20psi I would use something bigger. I made 17-19ish with the blower on the SC with this very blower and pully I am using on this engine.

However, there is no boost, and no vacuum. So, I can either run a smaller blower pulley, a larger crank pulley, or move the blower and put a jack shaft on it.

It also sings loud as it drives down the road. The more I think about the cost of just doing that, the more I think I may just go turbo. I may try to find somone with a small pully to borrow, and see what that does. That will probably be what it is until summer, if I can even find one.

SWS

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I would agree if we were talking about a small 4cylinder diesel, but not a 7.3L! I won't run a single M90 on my 300 inline 6 gasser because it's too small!:D The 300 is like a gas powered diesel. I'm going to go with a single M112 on my 300. The M90 will never build much of any boost on a 7.3L. It just doesn't move enough air for an engine that size. You'll have to spin it way to fast to even keep up and then the Eaton gets really inefficient. So if you do build any boost it will be super heated.

Two M112's would give you the boost from the hit of the go pedal!:D Not to mention a lot more of it!;Sweet

I'm a huge Eaton supercharger fan!:hail I'm just trying to help.;Sweet

From a cursory glance I would say the M90 is big enough, hell my brothers 1.8L rice burner had the same turbo as I have on my 7.3. remember we're only turning 3 or a little over 3K, not 6 or 7k.

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I'm wrong then.:rolleyes: :hail I've only been messing with the Eaton SC's for 8 years or so. Guess I need to do some more research.

Good luck.;Sweet

Last edited:

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe check out some of the places that port blowers and do specialty stuff to them. You might be able to find something I'm sure. When I get a chance I will look too cus I need to find one for when I do my setup also.

And as for the fuel, you can still turn it up and make more power. Granted you don't need to turn it up as much cus you don't have a turbo to spool but with the extra air that is pumped in, you need more fuel to use the extra oxygen. Idk just my $.02...

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I don't want to add fuel as I run close to 900 when I put my foot to the floor. It would probably go higher, but I watch it and adjust accordingly. I think the baby moose puts out plenty of fuel for this.

And Fordman if you are trying to patronize me then I will stop responding to you. As far as almost 8 years, you almost have as many as I do. Also, if you look, some of the 5.0 guys run them. AED runs/ran them on the 4.6. Rousch STILL runs them on the 4.6 blower kits they use now. I can get some vids for you if you do not believe me, but you can probably youtube as well as I can. None the less, I used the 90 cause I have a few of them lyin around. I do not have any 112s anymore. I DO have a turbo, which will probably be what gets added.

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh got ya on the fuel. I didn't realize you had a baby moose. And if you get more boost after getting a new pulley it can be adjusted from there. It'll be kinda nice for you with the SC and not having to bump the fuel up as much and still making good power. I look forward to the drive videos and look forward to the bump in boost. :)

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Can you fit a 1 inch pulley on the shaft? IIRC you have a 3" crank pulley so 1" on the charger would put you right around 11,400RPM charger speed with the engine at 3800.

If I'm reading this correctly that should put you at 9-10 PSI
http://www.capa.com.au/eaton_m90data.htm

It is looking good man, keep up the good work.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
SeaWalker- what size pulley is on your M90? (Sorry if I missed it.)

If you do the calcs- assuming your crankshaft pulley is 6" like the motor in my shop and assuming the stock 3.5" pulley on the M90:

At 2000 rpm your M90 is putting out max: 6/3.5= 1.71 ratio; 90*1.71*2000= 307,800 units at 100% efficiency (At a more realistic 80% efficiency = 246240)

At 2000 rpm and 420 cubic inches your engine requires 420/2=210 per stroke * 2000= 420,000 at 100% efficiency (At a more realistic 70% efficiency = 294000)

It looks like you need to spin the M90 much faster to see any real pressure.

My .02 cents

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty cool setup, I hope your able to get it dialed in so it works for you. Sounds much nicer than a turbo.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool to see someone finally do something with a roots style. Although offset like that is definately not as efficient as having a custom intake manifold, which is really whats needed and what roots styles were originally intended for.

I still would like to do one down the road but I will be having an intake made for the blower. Gotta get trans issues sorted out before any more power is added though.

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you cant easily source a pully of the size you need, contact a local machine shop for a quote. if the quote seems too high, there is another option. find a technical/trade school or college nearby that has a machine shop and ask the instructor there if they can make it for you.

the college i have my first degree from has a full machine shop and is constantly looking for work for the students to learn on. the instructor is a great machinist and i have given them a few projects that have come out extremely nice. generally he only asks for a small donation to the machine shop because they are not allowed to take payments for the work they do. i usually just purchase the tooling and materials required for the project and allowed the school to keep the tooling and any left over materials.

if there isnt a school close to you with a machine shop, send me a drawing with good (+/- .001") dimensions, and i will send or bring it to the instructor and ask him what it would take to get them to make it for you.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems like a really good idea SWS. I would do it if I were you. Seems like a good deal and is pretty cheap too.

David lee, when I get my truck down to San Diego and finish my M112 setup, would I be able to get you to have them machine it for me to? Its a few months down the line for me though.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I think the crank pulley is close to 7" or so. It is hard to get from what I had to work with at the time. The more I think about it, the more likeley I will be putting on the remote mount turbo. Like I said, the reason I put the M90 on the engine in the first place was becasue I had them. I started the project prior to acquiring the turbo. Now, I have the turbo and was goin to use it on the 351 gasser.

The other problem I have with the blower is the noise/moan/wine that is contstant. I am not interested in trying to fab a muffler into the inle pipe. With the turbo, I also am in the process of making an under vehicle compartment. That will allow me to run the intake inside and keep it cleaner since I do/will be driving this off road. If anything, I can use a large portion of the blower on this for the blow-through setup I will have on the car that was going to be a turbo...no loss there. And since I have several of them, I can run duals and not have to worry about the psi.

As far as the pulley goes, you can use a smaller pulley, but you have to machine the snout on the blower down to be able to accept it. I THINK my pulley is 2.8 something, but I am hoping it is bigger. I will get actual measurments on them one of these days, but there is rain projected for the next few days so that will not happen. Don't mind the cold, but I am not really fond of the rain.

SWS