Summary of damage to E350 from Harness meltdown

899ccs

Reaction score
Well the weather finally broke and the 1 ton is running.. nightmare. Allow me to break it all down for you cuz I know you all is curious.
So, the cause of this debacle was the "fuel line heater circuit" and the wrong amperage fuse in the circuit. The 40 amp fuse just snickered as the heater circuit voltage supply wire grounded out. This occurred just after start up and as I was entering a busy thoroughfare. Smoke came rolling out from under the hood. Stayed running long enough to park it.

Damage as follows
Smoked the glow plug harness on the passenger side including wiring to coolant temp and injector pump. Melted down connector under the cowl near the A/C evaporator, then proceeded west ( as your behind the steering wheel of course) along the wire harness under the cowl traveling along the large yellow and black wire. The harness dips down behind the drivers side battery and heads on into the fire wall. At this point it Fried half of the wire harness as it goes into the cab. Took out the neutral safety switch and it's harness connector and the glow plug relay. No fuse links popped.
Melted down the turn indicator power supply wire, wiring up to the flasher and melted the flasher connector. Fried the parking brake applied warning light circuit and the engine temp idiot light circuit.
Consequently heavy snow fall and cold temps took out both wiper arms. Meaning the tension springs inside the arms broke off their little attachment tabs..so no wipers. Oh joy.

Status: It starts on glow plugs. That is a miracle. I never thought I would see the day.
Every thing works with the exception of the reverse lights, the wipers and the turn indicators.
Can some one PLEASE tell me/confirm the color of the 12 volt power supply wire to the turn signal/flasher connector on the steering column.? Does the voltage for the turn indicators come from that third wire on the Hazard flasher circuit? Is it a pink wire? I need a new Power Probe. I had originally bought the very first version. Man what a great tool. I made more money with that tool and the Non contact thermometer when they first came out.
Thanks for listening and all the advice help and feedback. I found a wiring diagram with a quick search of the site and I know what wire I need to address now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7