stupid idea?

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I am planning on stealing the fuel tanks off one of my dad's junk dump trucks and making an auxiliary tank for the bed of the truck. While I was looking at it, I thought about nabbing the aux. tranny under it as well. Stupid?

Pros: under, direct, and overdrive. It's free

Cons: It's huge. direct mechanical linkage (I probably oughta look for one with cable linkage, eh?), I have an automatic (throw it in neutral, switch the aux, drop it back in gear)

Besides the immense amount of work to just physicall make this thing work, why else should or should I not abandon this plan?

Barney

rthomas

Reaction score
its a brownie box? i think the way to go with that would to try to get it to shift electricly, having a goofy stick through the floor would be kind of a pain. you would be able to shift it without neutral, just like you would shift it in the dump truck. if you had it setup electricly and could preselect it would be as easey to shift as a usgear, hit the switch let off the gas for a second and your in. in all i think the brownie would be overkill and hard to install, but possible.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barney, all transmissions take away some horsepower. Not knowing anything about this unit, I wouldn't assume it would take away too much, but I know a Gearvendors draws 10HP. If you can make it fit, I don't see any reason why you couldn't try it, as long as you can put everything back if it doesn't work out.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Barney sounds like a plan...

Remember after putting in the aux fuel tank the cheapest fuel I have found in The Fort is the Wally World out on Stellhorn (37) just get one of those shopping cards that is reloadable and save an addtl' 3 cents a gallon. No it's not much but if you get the fill level of The Enterprise (130-150 gallons at a fill) you can normally shave 3-4 cents off what they are getting in town so that means about 6 cents x 130 = $7.80 saved at each fill.

Now for the add on tranny... I got a t19 that is not doing anything, you could strap that on the backside to be a gear splitter... You could maybe find a different gear set for it I'm sure then you could split the heck out of them. Think about it 2 down - 1 normal - 1 over... That was one of the crazy idears I had floating around in my head - George, Ken and I talked about that when I was down in NC during the fall. Figured that I could do as you mention throw it in N and pull a new gear, then back into OD in in the E4OD.

it would be an manual auto trans then... You could be the first on your block with such a set up... :D Then we would all go OOO and AHHH when we were around you... Just thing 12 forward gears and 4 reverse....

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Travis,

Is that T19 out of the Phoenix? I'd be interested in it as I think if I'm gonna fancify an aux tranny I'd rather have a manual anyway. I'd also need all the other pertinent parts too clutch pedal, etc. . .

Let me know I might take all of it off your hands. Just don't tell Amy. 1 more truck and she will be even madder at me than when I fart in bed.

Barney

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I can wait. This is going on a 2.5 year project. Plus, I'll have plenty to do after I get the motor back. Lotsa bugs to work out, you know?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HarleyCummins