Stuff to check to prep truck for a long road trip

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So in the near future i plan on heading down to Al's place b/c he graciously offered to let me install my baby moose and bbs, and get her timed at his shop;Sweet:D. What kinda stuff should i check/change for the trip (roughly 900 kms...9 hours). Heres what i can think of from the top of my head that have been done:

Right outer and inner tie rods
Oil cooler reseal
fuel filter
upper lower and heater hoses
clutch mc and slave
headlight relay- not done yet but its on its way
My summer tires (km2 mudders) are fairly new id say there at or better than 80%

What else would be good to replace/check?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
U just did oil cooler...*** if its not leaking don't sweat it..

Belts, hoses ...just a good check...

steering linkages check/grease everything that can be greased...

Check all fluid levels...trans tcase if one...diff/s

make sure brakes adjusted...fluid up

I'll add more as I think of it...

Ya come on down...BTW...YOU are changing the IP and injectors...NOT me...I got everything you need and will assist...however your the golden boy and going to do this!

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i said stuff that HAS been done lol, i think you mis read Al :) O i wouldnt have it any other way, but just incase I have questions, which i will, youll be there to guide me.

Ider and belt tensioner also have recently been replaced, and the belt to ofcourse.....Ill post a pic of my old idler its pretty bad

Now how would I go about checking the fluids? And how would I adjust the brakes? Come to think of it maybe it would be a good idea to change the tranny, and diffs fluids

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree jasper, i have a d50 front end I hear those can be difficult to change fluids on, someone wanna give me a diy on how to change the fluids in the tranny, diffs and.tcase?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Best thing for the D50 is to suck the old fluid out. I'd grease the u joints, check the tire pressure, take the belt off and check the water pump for play if mileage is unknown, take the tires off and do a visual inspection of the brakes, take the drums off the rears and check. I usually go a little red neck and grind the inner lip off of the drums with a 4" grinder then adjust the brakes out at this time to the point that you can just get the drum on and off without them grabbing the shoes. This is assuming that everything is in serviceable condition. It's a good time to service your front wheel bearings if it hasn't been done in a few years.

Trans and t case should have a lower bolt to drain and an upper bolt that is the fill point. re fill, drive for a day and check once more. Top off a 2nd time if necessary. Keep us posted and good luck;Sweet

I just noticed, we now have a Canuk 'Mater' and an American 'Mater'.LOL Sweet!!:thumbsup:

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just made a 2000 mile round trip, used 3 fuel filters, stopped at more than ten parts houses along the way, car quest and Oriely had the filters.

Javier

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
On the transmission, I find it easiest to refill by pulling the shifter. I also recommend using at least a full gallon of fluid.

Same with the tcase. Park on a slope to get a little more in. Not much. Just a little.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 filters? What are you burning for fuel?

I took my aux tank out of storage and cleaned it best I could before filling it with W90.
So I knew I would be cleaning it as I emptied it into my truck tanks.
I have a primary filter and also the OEM style filter.
I use a FF1039SP HAstings filter in the OEM location
And the primary is a HPG1 Fram to protect the fuel pump.
I now am looking to put a larger filter for the primary.

Javier

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kevin your rig only has 187 thous kliks?

For the fluids would synthetic be the way to go?.....i assume they'll be pretty pricey dam I hate job hunting when things are slow:(

So another thing ive been noticing is the break pedal will make a creaking noise once in awhile when I'm applying the brake, and it has a nice firm feel to it although sometimes I experience the mushy pedal

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....Now how would I go about checking the fluids? And how would I adjust the brakes? Come to think of it maybe it would be a good idea to change the tranny, and diffs fluids...

YOU BUY...we can do full fluid change to all items...and maybe by then I'll have a 1/2" NPT tap I can use and we can drill your D50 out for fluid change....tap...and then plug!

If you don't know how to check them, that's actually a good sign of them needing replaced.
maybe...not necessarily though

I'd suggest a full on thorough check of all your hard parts, and grease your ujoints steering as said before, Check fluid levels and if you want to change out fluids we can do that here too.

Your rad and cooling system should be sparkly clean and that is one less item to deal with, just ensure you have adequate coolant and bring along a gallon or two extra...GETS HOT here in summer...rofl

We can even repack all your front wheel bearings and so forth, I'd expect that if you got here on a Friday we would be set for you to leave on Sunday eve...

It is up to you how far you want to service your truck, I'm game to help...remember your on a very STEEP learning curve here! Crash course in Auto service 101....LOL

Get your Electric lift pump....we can install that TOO!

Maybe plan a 3 day trip staying here for 3 days...rofl...

You call me sometime and we will start a plan for ya!

Don't forget fluid change for me too....:drunk:

Al

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should i be worried about the creaking

Ok Al I will, I'm In the process of looking for work right now so its kinda hard to set a date but I'll text you before I call you to make sure your not busy then we can go over ask the details . Haha ofcourse the beer for the shop owner/teacheris a must