stuck oil filter

94johnh

Reaction score
I changed my oil today. I had to switch to delo as my wallyworld dosent carry
the shell in gallons any more. Had a bad time geting the oil filter off I thought it was never going to come off crumpled all around :backoff , but finaly came off. I am guessing I tightend it too much on the last change.it's the 1995 ps filter.

john

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come to think of it, I bent my oil filter wrench trying to get mine off last time too...

Towcat is right- a little grease on the gasket makes it a little easier when it comes time to remove it. When I first got my truck, a friend of mine spooked me into thinking that the filter had to be way tighter than a gasser because of the vibration. Evidently, he saw one come off once, and attributed it to not being tightened enough. I've found that the usual 3/4 to 1 full turn past gasket contact is plenty.

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get the drainplug to not seep a little. Ford has never sent me quite the right drainplug gasket, so I end up using a fibrous gasket for a Toyota, and it works pretty well. Anyone have any luck with a Fumoto valve? All I've ever seen 'em do is leak...

Ryan

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OIL DRAIN VALVES ARE GREAT

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get the drainplug to not seep a little. Ford has never sent me quite the right drainplug gasket, so I end up using a fibrous gasket for a Toyota, and it works pretty well. Anyone have any luck with a Fumoto valve? All I've ever seen 'em do is leak...

Ryan

The correct drain-plug gasket is not a gasket at all, but a COPPER WASHER, meant to be replaced at each oil change.

Many years ago, I bought a big box of the copper washers and used a new one each oil change with never a drip--there, anyway.

Then, I discovered Fumoto valves>>>WONDERFUL.:thumbsup:

I have one in both of my Cummins powered trucks, no more stripped drain-plugs, no more oil running off my elbows, no more dropping the plug into a pan of dirty oil; as a matter of fact, I don't even need the pan, as I can now drain it into a jug, cutting off the flow to change jugs.

:yell: I have never saw the first drip from a Fumoto, never.
:thumbsup:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a strap style oil filter wrench like this one HERE.

If you can't get a filter off with one of these you need to break out a chisel. Been using one similar to this and it has not failed me in over 20 years;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DRIP DRIP DRIP

Got rid of the Fumoto that came on one of my trucks. All it did was leak. :puke:

Tom

From where did it leak??

From around the oil-pan where it screws in, or through the valve itself??

Honestly, I have them on both my Cummins powered trucks and I have never had the slightest drip, not even suspected a drip.

I would not hesitate to add them to any other vehicle I might get.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score

Ryan

Mine had some kind of plastic thing on it, i found some cork and a plastic ring, i think they were used in duplicator machines ( you know the printer that had at school when we were kids? usually blue and smelled good?) it works great no leaks! I'll try to get some pictures?

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a Fram sure drain setup, we run Femco drain plugs on all of our stuff at work, and the Fram setup is very much the same, it just happened to be easier to get for me...
http://www.drainplug.com/
That's the Femco version. Navigating Fram's website is beyond me at this time...
Considering how I use my truck, I would not feel comfortable with a Fumoto valve on it, there'd always be the chance of a tree or rock or god knows what hitting it and opening that ball valve, especially if it can easily be moved by hand with the little handle it has on it.
With the Femco and Fram setups, you have a nice brass dust cap screwed on, and sealed to the valve assy, and it's essentially as bomb proof as the drain plug was...

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might give the fumoto valves a second chance- I like the idea of just flipping the little lever, but HATE leaks. I have a Ford copper crush washer on there now, but it is seeping a little. We have a new assortment of drainplug gaskets and washers at work, which I can try next time as well...

I've been so busy dealing with my timing issue that the tiny seepage has taken a back seat. Thought I had a line on some help today, but it fell through until next week...

Ryan

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a strap style oil filter wrench like this one HERE.

If you can't get a filter off with one of these you need to break out a chisel. Been using one similar to this and it has not failed me in over 20 years;Sweet

That type of oil filter wrench is all i own they are great ;Sweet ;Sweet

and they fit all sizes

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That type of oil filter wrench is all i own they are great ;Sweet ;Sweet

and they fit all sizes

Learned about them when I first started driving over the road back inthe '80's. Nothing like having a one size fits all that actually grips and does what it's supposed too.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I've had three fumoto's now on different vehicles... None of them leaked. Now for bumping then open, the handle is spring loaded so that it locks into position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online