Stubborn Oil Leak

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After the new engine was installed I have a oil leak under the turbo where the turbo bolts to the oil drain tube pedestal. And yes I am sure it is not where the tube goes into the valley pan because I can see the oil dripping from the drain tube. Yesterday I pulled the turbo and replaced the gasket, well it is still leaking but not as bad. What am I not doing right?

Boy I sure like this new motor. Also I can hear the turbo spool up and the sound is sweet with a stright pipe. It has great power and is alot quiter than my old motor.;Sweet

Jim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim, are you sure the valley pan has enough flow capacity to drain the turbo? Was it modified or did you need to perf it?

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jim, are you sure the valley pan has enough flow capacity to drain the turbo? Was it modified or did you need to perf it?

Yep Mel I'm sure the pan was modified, I asked the guys that put my engine in and they said they took a punch and made a couple of big holes in it all the way thru both pieces. they said the 2 holes were about the size of a large school pencils.

Jim

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever have a turbo leak to the outside due to bad seal in the turbo? I have had this turbo off 3 times and still it is leaking oil. The only thing to do id pull it 1 more time and replace the seals.

I have never had a turbo opened before, what pitfalls do I need to watch out for?

Jim

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Jim, is it possible that the oil return tube is either cracked or the gasket has been compromised?:dunno

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jim-

The grommet that goes into the valley pan cracked on mine and it leaked like a sieve. It's at the drain tube/pan interface, and you might be missing it if you're not taking the drain tube out when you remove the turbo.

Something else to check...

Ryan

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an o-ring that goes in between the turbo and pedestal on the drain side of the center section. If you are just using a turbo drain gasket and not the o-ring it will certainly leak. The pedestal is countersunk for the o-ring and doesn't have enough surface on the outer edges to seal with just a gasket. I looked mine over very carefully as it had a gasket on it that was certainly not going to stop a leak. From what I saw the o-ring does the sealing.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ihave had the turbo 2 times trying to stop the leak, replaced the gromet in the valley pan, replaced the O ring in the return drain. I can see it dripping but can't see where an the heater box is in the way. It has to be the seals inside the turbo. Never had one open before but there is alway a first time, I called Diesel Injection and the said $435 to replace the seals, thats just plain BS.

Jim

sassyrel

Reaction score
jim--go on ebay--theres a guy on there selling turbo rebuild kits--and i do believe those will fit our turbo--if not--any diesel injection shop can get you the kit, if they will!! and a kit should only cost about 70 or 80 dollars. and no, youve had everything else apart, dont know why you couldnt do the turbo rebuild yourself---be sure and mark the wheel to wheel indexing, so you get it back in balance.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim, it still sounds to me like we are guessing on where the source of the leak is coming from. I'd not assume anything if you have to spend money to find out if your assumption was right. There has to be a creative way to solve this. Bright light and a web cam mounted somewhere and a laptop on the seat while you drive? I dunno. :dunno

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jim, it still sounds to me like we are guessing on where the source of the leak is coming from. I'd not assume anything if you have to spend money to find out if your assumption was right. There has to be a creative way to solve this. Bright light and a web cam mounted somewhere and a laptop on the seat while you drive? I dunno. :dunno

Mel, I have determined that in fact the seal on the compressor side is indeed leaking. I was going to order a seal/bearing kit but have decided to just bite the bullet and have it done just in case there should be a problem. As it turns out a guy I met some time back has a shop that also rebuilds turbos and he said he would give me a break on the price for rebuilding it.

Jim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very good Jim. Sorry to see it developed a problem so quickly.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I look at it this way Mel, it's still cheaper than buying a newer truck, after collecting the $4700 check a couple of years ago for the crash in Texas I am still money ahead even with the engine I just had installed ($900 for engine and having it installed).

Jim

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After concidering all aspects of my oil leak I decided to reseal my turbo myself. I bought the seal kit yesterday and talked to them at the shop and they said it is a pice of cake and gave me some tips so today I am going to pull the turbo one more time and replace the bearings and seals. I just can't see giving someone $250 to $300 to do this when the kit was only $65. Others on here have done turbos so why can't I?

Jim

sassyrel

Reaction score
After concidering all aspects of my oil leak I decided to reseal my turbo myself. I bought the seal kit yesterday and talked to them at the shop and they said it is a pice of cake and gave me some tips so today I am going to pull the turbo one more time and replace the bearings and seals. I just can't see giving someone $250 to $300 to do this when the kit was only $65. Others on here have done turbos so why can't I?

Jim
youve ripped enough other stuff apart--why not??? just mark the wheels for indexing. some one said each wheel is individually balanced from the factory---and others said they need to be rebalanced--why???? me thinks each wheel is individual---

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin